Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

<OBJECT> and <EMBED> tags

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Does someone know what the the current state with <OBJECT> and <EMBED> tags?

Background:
I read like 100 pages already. Some pages say <OBJECT> is superior to <EMBED>, other pages say it is the other way around.. Some pages say you need to use both <OBJECT> and <EMBED> tags, some say you just need to use one. Some pages say that IE does not support <EMBED> and FF does not support <OBJECT>, some pages say they both support <EMBED> and <OBJECT>. It is very difficult to judge what is the most updated information, and which information was valid 2 years ago.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

In all of your searching around, by any chance did you find anything that had embed and deprecated listed in the same sentence? Object tags are the way to go, and Firefox and IE both support them. If you look at this page:
http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_object.asp
It clearly shows that it is supported by all browsers, except Lynx and other text based browsers. :thumbsup:

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

In all of your searching around, by any chance did you find anything that had embed and deprecated listed in the same sentence? Object tags are the way to go, and Firefox and IE both support them. If you look at this page:
http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_object.asp
It clearly shows that it is supported by all browsers, except Lynx and other text based browsers. :thumbsup:

The clearly states the confusion. I quot the page:

<OBJECT> ...HTML 4.01

The object element was intended to replace the img and applet elements. However, because of bugs and a lack of browser support this has not happened.

The object support in browsers depend on the object type. Unfortunately, the major browsers use different codes to load the same object type.

<EMBED> ...HTML 5

The <embed> tag is new in HTML 5

Wuh?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

Links to those pages would be helpful, but form the little bits that you quoted, they in no way contradict what I said. All they say is that the browsers use them in different ways.

#5 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

Links to those pages would be helpful, but form the little bits that you quoted, they in no way contradict what I said. All they say is that the browsers use them in different ways.

Those are quotes from the pages you linked above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users