Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix locked up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cintim

cintim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

ran combofix as recommended.....at reboot, my antivirus tried to load, so it recommended closing the antivirus and scanning process associated with it, unfortunately, couldn't disable the scanning process, and then the power went off in our home, and when it came back on, i rebooted the computer, waited, then try to run combo fix again.....i get my anti-virus disabled first, then combofix's blue screen starts.......the cursor starts blinking and then nothing....for hours......i close combofix, then try to restart computer, and it locks up.....several attempts to restart combofix only resulted in the same.
so, i uninstalled combofix, cleaned the registry files, and redownloaded combo fix....still the same result......
i think a process of it that remains on my computer wants to complete the original task, but it won't...i don't know......
i like combofix cause it has been the only easy fix to malware/adware crap that keeps finding it's way back onto my computer, thanks to my family that won't follow the rules......
anyway, what can i do to restore combofix?

or should i use hijackthis instead?

i run zonealarm antivirus and firewall, spyware doctor and ad-aware, and well, they find crap all the time, but, doesn't seem to truly destroy it.

running windows xp, in case you need to know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:20 AM

What recommendation was given for you to use Combofix? Combofix is a tool that is used by advanced malware teams. Please note the text in blue at the top of the Am I Infected forum.

ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

Also, please refer to here as to why it can be a bad thing to run combofix.

Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

ref: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1159014

Any information regarding Combofix that isn't available is strictly prohibited outside of private forums as the nature of the tool is meant to be kept secret from other malware writers being able to create counter-measures to its detection system.

Edited by scff249, 31 March 2009 - 03:26 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 cintim

cintim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

yes, it was under supervision, via cell phone with my son, who's in college mastering in this stuff....but, were disconnected just before the power outage. i have yet to get him back on the phone.

#4 cintim

cintim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

btw, i had successfully used this program in the past, and have full knowledge of it's usage guide.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Any discussion on the or using ComboFix will be done in the HJT forum. As you still have issues after running it an HJT log should be posted now.

We need to run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users