Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pochp

pochp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

Why won't IE 8 open with Firefox? The IE 8 file is on my desktop.
Whenever I try to open it with Firefox, it really wouldn't run.

Edited by pochp, 31 March 2009 - 08:44 AM.

pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hello pochp, please restate your question in a clearer way, so the helping audience at Bleeping Computer may understand!

#3 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

That is the clearest I can do Jay.
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

What is the IE8 file you refer to and where did it come from? Do you mean the downloaded installation file to set up IE8? If it's that, Firefox can't run an executable setup file, that runs in Windows on its own when you double-click it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

Right. It came from a Yahoo security advice. Sorry for the dumb question.
But what if I don't trust IE anymore which is the case? Would you still advice the download from IE itself?
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

Oh, you mean the default program to run HTML files?

You would need to go in to the browser options, and set the browser as default. Is this what you mean?

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 31 March 2009 - 12:35 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

Let me see if I've understood you right. Yahoo advised IE should be updated to version 8 for security, and you used Firefox to download the IE8 installer from Microsoft? If so, yes, that's a good idea. Internet Explorer provides some of the functions for Windows even if its not being used as a browser. Windows security is enhanced by having the most current IE version installed.

Depending on your Operating System, the installer should have a name something like IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe, which is the one for English language 32bit Win XP.

If you run with Admin privileges double click the IE8 installer file on your desktop and follow the install, if offered de-select the option "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser". If you normally run on a restricted account, right-click the installer and select Run as Administrator, give the Administrator password and continue.

There should be no problem using IE for downloading, as long as the computer is receiving security updates. But you can continue using Firefox as before following the IE8 installation if you prefer.

I hope I've interpreted your query correctly, otherwise let us know and we'll respond again.

Edited by Platypus, 31 March 2009 - 09:03 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

You got it right Platypus. Great.
I will post another topic related to this. I hope you give attention. Thanks.
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users