Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean drive, how do I load CD drivers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 csheim

csheim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

I formatted a hard drive discarded by someone else because they had no more need for it. I formatted it by slaving it to my hard drive and formatting through a command window. Now I have a newly formatted, clean hard drive and want to install WinXP onto it however, I need to initialize my CD when I turn on the computer. I can remember, years ago, doing this by creating an autoexec.bat file and writing 3 or 4 lines in it, creating a config.sys file with 2 or 3 lines in it, putting both files onto a floppy together with a driver for the CD drive and booting from that floppy. The CD driver was picked up by via instruction in either or both the autoexec.bat and/or the config.sys files and I was off and running with a workable CD for OS installs. Am I remembering this correctly? and if I am, what are the lines I want to write in the autoexec.bat and the config.sys files? Does anyone have any better/other suggestions on getting my CD running so I can install WinXP on this clean hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

If you are loading XP you should have much trouble, go into the BIOS and set it to boot to your CD drive. Put the CD in and restart the computer it should fire right off.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Autoexec.bat and config.sys methods worked only for Windows95/98 and Me. The floppy drive used to boot into MSDOS, loaded CD drivers and setup continued from there. This method can work for XP too but under certain restrictions.

To clean install XP you will have to make necessary changes in your BIOS, so that your CD drive becomes the first boot device. Some modern computers let your choose boot-sequence by pressing a special key (e.g, F12) at startup.

After that is done, you should boot from XP CD, it would show a message "Press any key to continue...", do so and setup will continue.

To install XP as dual boot you just run setup from within existing Windows installation and follow the instruction.

Edited by Romeo29, 30 March 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#4 csheim

csheim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

If you are loading XP you should have much trouble, go into the BIOS and set it to boot to your CD drive. Put the CD in and restart the computer it should fire right off.

Phil

Many thanks Phil, this is just what I was looking for.
Craig

#5 csheim

csheim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

Autoexec.bat and config.sys methods worked only for Windows95/98 and Me. The floppy drive used to boot into MSDOS, loaded CD drivers and setup continued from there. This method can work for XP too but under certain restrictions.

To clean install XP you will have to make necessary changes in your BIOS, so that your CD drive becomes the first boot device. Some modern computers let your choose boot-sequence by pressing a special key (e.g, F12) at startup.

After that is done, you should boot from XP CD, it would show a message "Press any key to continue...", do so and setup will continue.

To install XP as dual boot you just run setup from within existing Windows installation and follow the instruction.

Ah yes! It was many years ago that I used the floppy boot disk to load CD drivers and I know that you're right... it was Win98. I will indeed make the bios change to boot from my CD to do the OS load. Many thanks to you!!
Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users