Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to search Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Bocelli

Bocelli

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

I have Vista ultimate and since early December 2008, I have not been able to get MS updates. Instead I get an error message code 80070026, unable to search for updates. BTW, it's a Dell XPS M1330 computer, recently purchased in July 2008. I have both McAfee and Windows Defender, which get regular updates. MS techies have not been able to resolve problem and I'm stuck.

Edited by Bocelli, 30 March 2009 - 08:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi there! Thank you for using Bleeping Computer as your source of help today. If I saw clearly, you are having problems installing updates on Windows Vista.

I will request that you do both things listed.

1. Please tell me if you are currently running Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista.

2. My first evaluation of this situation is that you may have a Windows Installer error. Please do the following step-by-step:

1. Select Start > Run.
2. In the Open box, type CMD.
In the black box please enter the following text:

msiexec /unreg

3. When this process is complete, please type the following in the same window of CMD:

msiexec /regserver

5. Restart the computer, then recheck for updates.

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

If the above solution does not work, please try this Microsoft Solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414/en-us

#4 Bocelli

Bocelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hi there and thank you for your response. I'm unsure if I have the service pack as all my update history was removed when an MS tech was trying to solve this problem so I'm hesitant to do as you say without this information. Is there a way for me to find out if I have it installed?

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Yes!

Right click on My Computer and click Properties.
You will see Service Pack 1 in the first paragraph of text if you have it installed!

#6 Bocelli

Bocelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

Jay, yes my computer is running the Service Pack 1 of Vista (Ultimate). BTW, I've researched this error code and many techies have suggested that there may be a conflict with existing 3rd party antivirus program. I've turned off the real time protection as suggested and it didn't work. One also suggested uninstalling one program, which I haven't done. How valid is this? And how likely is it that a virus is preventing me from getting updates? You see I'm so worried that I downloaded the BETA One Care Scanner just in case, and it's running in the background as we speak. Once it's done then I'll do as you say. Will you be around for another hour?

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

The solutions you have listed are invalid. Most antivirus and solutions for firewall are set to automatically cooperate with Windows Update, as the security programs know that a system process is running by what is called TrustedInstaller. Once a security program sees the hidden codename TrustedInstaller, process are automatically allowed.

Did you try the fix it? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414/en-us

If you have, then you may have a corrupt user profile. I will allow you to post anymore results then I will help you with the next step in potentially solving this issue!

#8 Bocelli

Bocelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

Jay,

I tried but it came back with this message: "fix it" failed, does not apply to your system.

I also tried to do the first instruction but the command screen is not doing anything???

Okay, I'll be waiting for the next step. P.S. The scan came back negative.

Can you explain what corrupt file means?

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

It means that your Windows Account is damaged/corrupt and you need to either access a different User Account that has Administrator Privileges or create a new administrator account. Please tell me if you have any questions about how to do this!

Before you do the above step, please open the start menu and enter Windows Update in to the search box. When it appears in the pane, please right click on it and click Run as Administrator. After you do that, please check for updates again!

#10 Bocelli

Bocelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

Okay, I ran the updates as the administrator and got the same error message. Please tell me how to create a new administrator account. Thanks!

UPDATE: I changed the admin. acct. into a standard user acct and created a new administrator. I then ran updates (while as an administrator) and still no luck: same error message.

Edited by Bocelli, 31 March 2009 - 12:03 AM.

#11 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

It is true that some Windows Sysem files have been damaged. Whenever System files get damaged, Microsoft Installer locks itself to prevent any further damage to your computer. This is known as Windows System File Protection. Please run System File Checker to automatically repair system files. After that completes, please restart the computer and run Windows Update again!

[Edit: spelling error]

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 31 March 2009 - 07:53 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

To check this problem, please TEMPORARILY disable your firewall and any Internet Security software that may be blocking the connection attempts.

Then test Windows Update, then IMMEDIATELY re-enable the stuff that you disabled!

Let us know what happens.

Also, check the Windows Update log files ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093 ) and let us know what you find there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

Most antivirus and solutions for firewall are set to automatically cooperate with Windows Update, as the security programs know that a system process is running by what is called TrustedInstaller. Once a security program sees the hidden codename TrustedInstaller, process are automatically allowed.

Thank you!

#14 Bocelli

Bocelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hi Jay,

I will be getting home late tonight but will try your last instruction unless you think it's best to postpone it until this Confliker virus hysteria subsides. From your last comment, I take it that it's best if I don't take up John's advice. I seem to recall that MS techies have provided the same instruction to me in December and it didn't resolve the problem.

#15 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Thank you. I have tried the method that John placed in his post on my own one time, and I checked update logs, and the problem went unresolved. I had update errors back in Late January-Early February and I tried many methods--including John's.

In each Firewall and Antivirus Suites, there is a port automatically allowed to download and upload data for Windows Update. This port is number 443, which is the remote port. The port is heavily guarded by Windows Updates, security -type, to ensure the port is safe. This is the second most exploited port in Windows. Port 1025 is a port to download Windows Installer files for the updates, when those are available. Obviously, when we unregistered and Re-registered the Windows Installer in my first solution to you -- this was deemed okay! Obviously after the first solution, the problem still was not solved.

1 of two system files/folders have been damaged on your machine. Both of these are related to Windows Update.

Software Distribution folder
or
C:\Windows\System32\winipsec.dll <<<Windows IPSec SPD Client DLL (also located in %windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386)

------------

Along with System File Checker, please do the following:

Please run disk cleanup. This can be done from the Start menu>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.

Make sure temporary files is checked and make sure they get removed.

Stop the Automatic Updates service

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Delete the contents of the Download folder
Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
Click OK.
Open the Download folder.
Delete all contents of the Download folder.
Close the window.

Start the Automatic Updates service
Click Start. Choose Run.
Click OK.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

By deleting the contents of the Download folder - you have removed any
downloaded updates.

If that doesn't work then you'll need to rename the softwaredistribution
folder:

Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click Start, Choose Run.
Click OK.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder: a. Click Start, click Run, type
%systemroot%, and then click OK.
b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this
folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.
Click OK.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users