Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running ComboFix - Won't Reboot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 photok6

photok6

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

As per advice from Kaspersky support, I am running ComboFix on my laptop. I turned off Kaspersky, Ad-Aware and Spybot. ComboFix seemed to be working ok. After about 10 minutes it said it needed to reboot. It warned me not to do anything but to let it run it's course. At the same time, another warning box appeared on the screen saying: Warning! Current registry file not found: \Device\Harddisk Volume 2\Boot\BCD." It asks: "Restore this file? Yes/No"

So... since I'm not supposed to reboot myself - what should I do?

This is all due to a number of symptoms pointing to possible Conficker presence - or some other problem.

Looking forward to advice on how to proceed.... thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

I would suggest that you contact the person at Kaspersky who advised you to use Combofix and have them help you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

Was it someone from the Kasperksy forums who was helping you? If so, can you post a link to your log there?

Or was this someone from Kaspersky corporate?

It is very hard for us to help you as we do not know any of the background information on what happened previously.

#4 photok6

photok6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

It was Kaspersky corporate. The online chat support person provided the link and qualified the suggestion as a personal one, not necessarily endorsed by the company. I received the information and the link from an email he sent to me. He assured me it would take care of everything and did not anticipate any problems. I sent him an email as suggested but have not heard back and they should have been open several hours already. In the meantime my computer remains on the page I described earlier waiting for an answer from me - and since over 15 hours have passed, I'm hoping the screen isn't going to suffer from this.

#5 sUBs

sUBs

sUBs

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

"Restore this file? Yes/No"

Answer = Yes

Let me know what happens next

Edited by sUBs, 31 March 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#6 photok6

photok6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

Thank you for getting back to me. After saying "yes" it rebooted and created a log file. If I should be posting this somewhere else, please let me know and I'll do so. BTW, my son used to use this machine for gaming. I now use it exclusively for photoshop editing.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

We do not allow combofix logs to be posted here in this forum. If you suspect malware problems you can follow the steps in this guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Otherwise, you can continue with Kaspersky now that your computer is back to normal.

#8 photok6

photok6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

Thank you. Will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users