Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop dual display

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmgedc

cmgedc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

I have an emachines M5405 that I am using for entertainment mostly.

I hooked up an external monitor that I extended the desktop onto.

The main monitor has now gone kaput.

I can boot and hit the Fn key to activate the external monitor but the external monitor does not have the task bar or any other option to let me reconfigure the displays.

I have a password setup to log onto windows for my username. I am thinking that the password screen is where I am stuck at, it's on the broken monitor, yet when I just type it in nothing seems to happen.

Does anyone know of the keystrokes I need to do to fix this?

I have the original restore dvd but I cannot seem to get the computer to boot from it.

I have tried hitting F8 to boot into safe mode but that doesn't seem to work either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

if you can see the bios setting in external monitor you can change the monitor display setting from bios.

settings might look something like this: "LCD>CRT" is one setting with "CRT>LCD" being it's other option; or it might look like "CRT/LCD" or it might say something like "Init display :" followed by LCD or CRT.... be sure you set it to CRT if you have an option.

#3 cmgedc

cmgedc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thank you but I cannot get the bios screen (or anything) to show on the external monitor while booting.

My external monitor is a year old LCD flat screen. I may try using an old CRT. Also I may try booting from a Vista setup disk (I do not have an XP setup disk other than the restore DVD that came with the computer.

Edited by cmgedc, 31 March 2009 - 11:25 AM.

#4 cmgedc

cmgedc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

After hooking up an old CRT I was able to use the restore CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users