Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some of the file captions have turned blue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 terrbear

terrbear

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

When I open "My Computer" I noticed that the "Local Disk C" is blue, all the others are in black. When I Open up the C drive one out five folders is in blue, the rest are in black. When I open up my other disk drive (G) and open up the "My Pictures" folder about half of the captions under the photos are in blue the rest in black. Everthing works like it should when I open files and folders up that are blue, just not sure how they got the way. Is ther a reason for why they are blue :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

In Windows XP, by default, a compressed folder/item is shown with BLUE font color. Also an encrypted folder/item is shown in GREEN color.

To change compression settings:
Right-click on a folder, select Properties, Click on Adavnced and a dialog would pop-up in which you can set whether you want to compress the folder or you want to encrypt it.

Posted Image

#3 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Wow, that was easy. So it's ok to leave them and just compress the larger files?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

To execute/access compressed items, Windows consumes more CPU. So compression is not recommended on older or slower systems. Also Microsoft susggests avoiding compression if you have considerable free hard disk space.

#5 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the explanation, I do have an older pc. I'll stay away from compressing files.
Should I uncompress the ones that are commpressed?

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

If your computer is running fine and you dont see any sluggish behaviour then let it stay as it is. Typically, you would compress files and folders that are accessed not so often like photo collection, backups or even mp3s. And stay away from compressing program and system files which Windows executes so often.

You can do hit-and-trial with this, see if compressing slows your PC down, if yes un-compress, if not enjoy :thumbsup:

#7 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

Will do, thanks for the advice. :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users