Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer constantly rebooting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coadman

coadman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

I have Windows XP home edition on this particular computer. I was trying to install "APEX" a farm software from Deere & CO. During the process of installation, I received a message saying that in order for the program to function properly, I must have "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express" on my computer, do I wish to download now, I selected yes, and the SQL program downloaded successfully, but upon installation, the screen went black, and the computer rebooted. Now, it reboots, goes to my initial screen, stating how much ram, memory, ect, plus gives me the option of selecting "DEL for setup, "ESCAPE for boot options", then goes into the Windows XP icon, then switches to "windows starting up", then reboots and starts the process all over again. I tried the F8 key when restarting the computer, and it looks as if it will let me into SAFE mode, but then the Windows xp icon screen comes up, then "windows starting up", and back to rebooting. Any ideas what I can do to solve this problem? I imagine I can reload windows, but hate to lose all my information on my harddrive, or will I lose that with a re-install? Patiently waiting for some help, from someone more computer savy than I(which isnt saying much.
thanks,
coadman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model, please?

Do you have a genuine Microsoft XP install CD?

Or is it a recovery/restore CD provided by the manufacturer of your system?

Is this the program, http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesma...mp;link=prodcat

Does your system meet the minimum system requirements for successful install?

Louis

#3 coadman

coadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model, please? Home built computer my son fixed up for me

Do you have a genuine Microsoft XP install CD? Yes, I have the Windows XP home edition disc, staring me in the face(LOL)

Or is it a recovery/restore CD provided by the manufacturer of your system?

Is this the program, http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesma...mp;link=prodcat Yes that is the program

Does your system meet the minimum system requirements for successful install? Yes, I EXCEED the minimum system requirements

Louis

#4 coadman

coadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

I don't know why the computer is acting like it did, but if I can get into windows some way, I would sure delete the"Microsoft SQL Server 2005 express" junk it said I needed!

#5 coadman

coadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

After doing some reading on this site, wish I had the "XP recovery console" loaded on my harddrive, that may at least let me get back in. "IF", I can get this fixed, I will probably load that onto my harddrive for future problems, I'm sure I will have.

#6 coadman

coadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

I read this article online "Windows XP Crashed? Here's Help
A salvage mission into the depths of Windows XP, explained by a non-geek ", and was going to try it out, but I am apparantly not typing my dos commands properly. Does anybody care to try and help me with my problem?
thanks in advance.
coadman

#7 coadman

coadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Can anybody see anything wrong with the way this is typed? I keep getting invalid paremeter error...

md C:\windows\tmpcopy c:\windows\system32\config\system
c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users