Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't stay in sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

How can i find out what is keeping my computer from going into sleep or hibernation mode? I have the power management set to turn the monitor off after 10 minutes of no use and to put the computer into sleep mode after 30 and hibernation after 1 hour. It does turn the monitor off, but then when i wake up the screen is on like the computer has been in use the whole night. How do i find out what the problem is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

Some devices have the ability to resume/bring the system out of hibernation. Most commonly it is modems or network adapters that are setup this way - but it could be almost anything doing this. But I would start by checking your modem/network adapters settings
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

how do i check to see if it is set to bring the computer out of hibernation?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).

For example, on the computer I am currently using there is a Broadcom Controller under Network adapters. If I right-click on it and select Properties > Power Management tab there is a setting that will allow the device to bring the computer out of standby. You need to check that any such settings are not enabled.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

ok, most things don't have the power management tab, but of the things that did, only the keyboard is/was set to bring the computer out of standby

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

You might want to check for any "wake on LAN" or other wake settings in the BIOS.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

i looked in the bios, there was nothing in the power management setting that said wake on lan, but turning off the hard drive was disabled, i enabled that.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Try unplugging everything from the computer other than the keyboard and monitor and see if it is any better.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Maybe someone is walking into your room at night ;).. APRIL FOOLS :thumbsup:

#10 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

Have you checked to see if there is any 'unwanted guest' on the computer that is trying to 'phone home' while you are asleep?

Also, is there any good reason why you do not actually turn the computer off and power down at night ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users