Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling/ Reformatting XP?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OTC101

OTC101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

I have a pretty bad infection on my laptop and have been receiving guidance over on the "am I infected" board. It looks like the best course of action at this point is for me to reinstall XP. However, my XP CD has been lost in a move from state to state. Can I use another person's XP cd for this?

Thanks for any input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

You can use another CD as long as it is the same version. That is, if you have XP Pro you cannot use an XP Home CD to reinstall.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

If it's a legal (not a torrent download, with potential for malware), valid Microsoft XP install CD...not a recovery/restore CD...and it's the same version (XP Home or XP Pro) and you have a valid license to use that version of XP...yes.

You cannot use the other person's license to do the install.

Your license plus any Microsoft XP CD meeting the above = valid, legal install.

I do not mean recovery/restore CDs which may have been issued by Dell, HP, Gateway, etc...I mean a Microsoft XP install CD.

Louis

#4 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

agreed. you will need the same OS disk. i am not sure if OEM or w.e will matter but aslong as you got your orginal code. youll be fine. ask a friend or even a PC shop to loan you a one, they may charge you though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users