Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding RAM to HP m8125x PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hey all,

My friend has a HP m8125x PC, and he wants to add 1GB memory onto it.

He said currently on the system is 2 X 1GB Hynix DDR2 PC3500(or 3200, he's not sure) Ram.

Does anyone know if this will work with his computer?
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=158...acture=Kingston

Would Kingston and Hynix be compatible working alongside each other?

Also from what I've been able to find it seems as if the maximum memory this Pc can support is 5300, but not sure. Can anyone confirm this?

Even if it can support more there's really no point in adding a higher speed ram than what the system already has, as the system will run fastest of the slowest ram?

Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Useful page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3442913

Personally...I see no advantage in going from 2GB to 3GB, especially if the system is running dual-channel memory mode currently. But...I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Useful page #2: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3442913

What Intel Has To Say: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/cs-011965.htm

Louis

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

as far as the different brands, in theory yes, though the PC will run at the lower rated ram stick. as far as dual channel is concerned, some motherboards require the ram be installed in sets of 2s, others dont, even if they dont you will lose the dual channel performance boost you would get from using 2 sticks when only using 1 or 3 slots. generally, for best performance, you want an even set of memory sticks, all running at the same voltage, clock speed, and timings. I would recomend finding memory of the same type as the memory installed, and instead of just installing 1 gig, buy 2 sticks of similar model ram. if the OS is 32 bit, it will only recongnize somewhere between 3.25-3.75 gigs of it, but you will get the performance boost from dual channel. either that or finding a 2 x 2 gb set of it, you can pick up 4 gigs of generic ddr2 667 mhz from wally world for around 50 bucks, and since the memory you have is generic to start with, it should still give you a good performance boost.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:28 AM

Thanks, I'll let him know ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users