Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some shortcuts aren't working....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

For the past few months, I've had problems with some of my "security" shortcuts. It started when I tried to open AVG and run a scan. When I click on the icon, I get a pop up stating the "program.exe" associated with the icon has changed or moved and do I want to delete the icon. I noticed that I had an AVG update come in prior to this problem so I figured it was an AVG problem and I have been working with their customer support people to try and fix it. I've also noticed that other "security" programs have the same problem. When I click on "malwarebytes" and "whatsrunning", I get the same box. I just downloaded superantispyware and tried to run it, but had the same problem with the desktop icon. I have Spyware Terminator, and its working fine. I haven't found any other programs that are having the same issues.
The tech I've been working with at AVG has had me run uninstall and other programs trying to find the issue but we've gotten nowhere. I can't open AVG to run a scan, (I get the error box noted above), but when I go to my Security Center, it shows that "AVG reports up to date and active". I haven't been able to reinstall AVG because of an error with a program in Firefox called Chrome. I just need some advice on how to fix the problem with the missing or moved programs so my shortcuts will work. I don't believe its a virus, I've used Spy Terminator numerous times and its not finding any problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

"Chrome" is a Google browser
http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl...p;utm_medium=ha
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

Thank you for your reply. I recognize your name and you have helped me with quite a few problems. Thank you for your time. I do remember seeing Chrome at one point but don't know that I've ever used it. Could it be causing problems with my shortcuts? I was going to uninstall and reinstall the programs that are having problems, (except AVG, thats an ongoing problem), to see if that would fix the errors but when I installed Superantispyware yesterday, it showed the same problem when I tried to open it. I hadn't even used it yet and right away it said the program had moved or been renamed and do I want to delete the shortcut.
So how do I find Chrome so that I can delete it and see if thats the problem?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

Edited by garmanma, 31 March 2009 - 03:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hello
I uninstalled and reinstalled MBAM and it ran fine, not finding any malware. I also reinstalled the other programs that were showing problems with the shortcuts. I'm still having problems with AVG though, and can't figure out what the problem is.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

I would do the same with AVG as you did with Mbam
uninstall/reinstall

Edited by garmanma, 01 April 2009 - 02:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I haven't had any problems with my shortcuts for awhile, but yesterday I noticed the same thing happening. My MBAM, Glarys Utilities, AVG, and OTscan it programs have disappeared again. When I click on the icon, I get the pop up stating the program has moved or changed and do I want to delete the shortcut. I'm still dealing with AVG techs for that problem, but why does this keep happening? I keep having to re-download the programs which work for awhile, but then they "disappear" later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users