Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Starter edition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

I have been doing looking into these different versions, which obviously isnt doing what MS said they would do and limit the number of versions, although it looks like Home Basic and Home Premium are all people will really need, and home premium will probably be the standard,

But my real wonder lies with this Windows 7 Starter Edition, the main fault is that it only allows 3 simultaneous applications to run, now im not sure how microsoft will decide to limit them:

will it be just items that have a window on the taskbar?
If so I can see about a million tweaks to move your applications to the system tray to get more running, this doesent seem like a viable way to limit.

or maybe will MS just limit the number of non os processes to 3?
this is my worry, because anyone who encouters any type of malware could easily hit 3 applications just at that, and be blocked out of their own machine, preventing them from even running tools to fix it

or maybe theres a better way that im not seeing?

anyone have any real insight or ideas on how this is being done?
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

http://www.askvg.com/windows-7-starter-edi...ications-limit/

#3 mckooter

mckooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

so it seems theres a whitelisted set of applications that dont count, but i still wonder exactly how it counts a program, this could end up being an issue
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

You might want to do some reading before you go off on the different versions. You, as a regular consumer, will have a choice between two (2) versions of Windows 7 in the stores:Home Premium and Professional. The other versions are really aimed at different markets and won't generally be offered. Consumers (your every-day users) won't be looking for Enterprise versions of the software, they don't have the need.

You can learn more about that here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2340431,00.asp and from the countless other articles on Gizmodo, Lifehacker, ZDnet and more that have already pointed this out to the "there are too many versions what do I do" crowd.
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users