Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My partition icons are changed even after disinfection (trojans and rootkit infections)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 insider

insider

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hello all!
My OS is a windows xp sp2.
My problem is that i had my computer infected with Trojans and root kits. I didn't notice anything with my old anti virus until i realized that my partition icons were changed in the way that they were not having anymore the normal icons but they looked like files which demand a certain program to open them. However, the icons are still the same even after disinfection. The system had no any other symptom and it works properly, i mean i didn't get any slow process. I disinfected it with Avast! free home edition, Spyware Doctor and i scanned it again with Super Anti Spyware and Kaspersky online scanner which both gave no results. In the first phase, before rescanning with SAS and Kaspersky, I found infections like Trojan.CWS, Seneka rootkit, Trojan.VX2_Look2Me and Spyware.Known_Bad_Sites with Spyware doctor and with avast!. I disinfected all, and because the System Volume Information had been infected i turned off System Restore on all drives in order to delete any possible virus that could have been there, and switched back. Now my system seems clean. But the partition icons are still the same even if i don't have any problem with accessing the partitions or with system functionality. Is there anything that can be done or do i have to reinstall the OS?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 insider

insider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

the problem is solved.
acces