Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stress and Depression?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

:flowers:

If the Powers that be, allow this it could maybe, save just one Life?

Stress and Depression are two similar things that go hand in hand together, but are totally different.

Let's look at each?

Stress is:-

tension: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense; "he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension"; "stress is a tension: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense; "he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension"; "stress is a vasoconstrictor" (vasoconstrictor) any agent that causes a narrowing of an opening of a blood vessel: cold or stress or nicotine or epinephrine or norepinephrine or angiotensin

difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension; "she endured the stresses and strains of life"; "he presided over the economy during the period of the greatest stress and danger"- R.J.Samuelson

try: test the limits of; "You are trying my patience!"

(physics) force that produces strain on a physical body; "the intensity of stress is expressed in units of force divided by units of area"

Whereas,

Depression is:-

a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity

a long-term economic state characterized by unemployment and low prices and low levels of trade and investment

natural depression: a sunken or depressed geological formation
sad feelings of gloom and inadequacy

depressive disorder: a state of depression and anhedonia so severe as to require clinical intervention (anhedonia) an inability to experience pleasure.

(I admit that I have used many links to make this Presentation, but they are all available to those that insist)

Someone suffering from Stress, such as a World Leader, a CEO, a major Tennis Player or even someone in Business Management feels Stress, but not usually Depressed, it is part of the Job. But that also can cause Depression.

Someone Depressed doesn't really feel stressed, just feels cut off from the world around them, But that can cause Stress for them.

Two great examples of an Enigma.

Enigma is:-

mystery: something that baffles understanding and cannot be explained; "how it got out is a mystery"; "it remains one of nature's secrets"
riddle: a difficult problem

To talk about one without the other is wasting everyones' time, because they are interrelated. For example, someone Depressed will do silly thinks if they get Stressed out? Or someone under Stress can also do silly things if they become Depressed.

I actually lost a Son from the above example, he calmly shot himself. That is why I post this here to help others out, if I can.

Stress and Depression go Hand and Glove although recognised as completely different. When the two come together it can be Very Deadly to sufferers of either one and their Loved ones.

Please Make your Comments nice ones?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Stress

Directly related to Anxiety. Anxiety is a normal human emotion. Stress, good or bad, affects every person. When a person goes through a difficult task, they get stress. Anxiety occurs when people get FUD and hyperness.

Depression

A disease that must be treated. Excessive sadness and a lack of motivation are signs of depression. Although minor depression can be treated alone by trying to have fun and find better ways to make yourself happy -- Major depression is clinical, and if not dealt with ASAP, it can lead to chronic crazyness or even suicide.

Treatment Levels for Depression and Anxiety
  • Herbs
  • Prescription medication
  • Psychologist
  • Counselor

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 08 April 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#3 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

who cares?

if you dont like this place, then leave....

or get on our level!!!
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#4 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

ryan, perhaps you missed this.....

I actually lost a Son from the above example, he calmly shot himself. That is why I post this here to help others out, if I can.

Stress and Depression go Hand and Glove although recognised as completely different. When the two come together it can be Very Deadly to sufferers of either one and their Loved ones.

Please Make your Comments nice ones?

You sir have alot to learn..... :thumbsup:

abacus7, i'm truely sorry for your loss.....

Edited by MissPlaced, 11 April 2009 - 01:11 AM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:58 AM

Thank you MissPlaced, often young people just can't see the Forest, there are just too many trees in the way?

:flowers: :trumpet:

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

I am sorry for your loss too Abacus 7.

I guess most people may have a hard time separating stress from depression. I feel stresses in my life. I do not think I am depressed. Overall I am quite happy really. I wish some things were better but I am glad to be where I am in my life.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

Pandy you are right in what you say and often just a little Support and encouragement from Family and Friends is all it takes to make it easier to cope.

A few years ago our Grand Son was also hit by a Car as was our youngest Son. Michael was in Intensive Care for weeks, but people from all over the World were praying for him and sending us Messages of Support. The little man survived, is leading almost a normal life now and is walking proof of the Power of Prayer. The Support helped my Family and I to really cope with it all.

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

I used to suffer from PTSD due to service.

I went through some extensive counseling and now am able to help some others who just need to talk to another.

The Pro's know and can help one with such depression.

My talking with the others also helps me keep it straight.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

I suffered a bout of depression after my father died, but I managed to work through it with a bit of help from my friends. It was pretty hard for awhile.

I find it strange now that I find this topic quite difficult to think about, in comparison with others here in the Speak Easy. I don't know why.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Some times Pandy, just keeping it bottled up can make it ten times worse?

I think that is what happened to my Son?

He never reached out?

I went to Hell and back after my Dad died when I was 19, lasted for a few years, then, I just had to snap out of it. My Wife and Kids needed me. I became a Workaholic to support them. That actually became my private Crutch to lean on.

Edited by Abacus 7, 13 April 2009 - 12:37 AM.

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:48 AM

I see, by reading these posts, some members are mistaking periods of unhappiness, for depression.
There is a vast difference.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:08 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

You got that one in one, Mate!

That is the real Danger!

People often go onto Medication that they should just leave well alone. They only think that they are depressed and their Doctor prescribes some thing that could very well make them much worse.

If people are not actually Depressed the Drugs can have quite dangerious side affects.

That is some thing that came up in my Son's case, he was full of Drugs and Grog, but he had lost his youngest Brother and like me, sorta blamed himself for not being there when needed?

:trumpet: :inlove:

Edited by Abacus 7, 13 April 2009 - 02:10 AM.

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:20 AM

If I learnt any thing out of it all, it was just to always have a friendly ear to people. I can honestly say since then I have managed to talk a few people out of doing the same as my Son did, just by being there as a good listener and giving nice sound Advice in a friendly way.

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:44 AM

I think a certain amount of stress, is healthy,but too much leads to Strokes, and Heart Attacks.

Edited by DSTM, 13 April 2009 - 03:28 AM.

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

Ooooo Abucus, I am so very sorry for you your loss :thumbsup:

You are very sweet to try to save others by speaking out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users