Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Re-open That Post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2-Cups

2-Cups

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

As I mentioned in that earlier post about this, it works on occasion playing a CD, and in some cases a DVD (movie), but in several cases it won't read the disc (such as with a utilities disc, i'm trying to reload). I can insert the disc (System Mechanic), and it will try to read it (light flashing off/on, and I can hear the noise of the drive trying to read the disc, but it finally just stops without installing. If I right-click on start/click on the drive letter listed for the DVD/CD (F), nothing appears in the window (folder/file). If I do the start/run/command (entering F: install), it pops up the little window saying "insert a disc in drive F".

I know it's not the system mechanic CD, as I've had this problem with several other DVD's as well. It seems to be a problem within the computer itself, but knowing nothing about these things, leaves me hanging :thumbsup:

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
2-Cups

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

As this seems to be something different from the original post, 2-cups, I think the discussion should remain here on this thread.
Cheers,
John
Global Moderator
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Does the drive read CDs properly?

Have you tried using a lens cleaner for the drive?

Have you tried the upper/lower filters edit?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=u...q=upper+filters

If you decide to delete upper/lower filters...bear in mind that this is a registry edit and normal precautions for such should be taken.

You can always try the upper/lower filters deletion...after backing up your registry.

Upper & Lower Filters - http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...d-lower-filter/

A suggestion has been made that involves modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous (and can render your system unbootable) so it's advisable that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding.

Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
Go to http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ERUNT.html and download ERUNT. (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)

Install ERUNT by following the prompts (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later).

Start ERUNT (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup).

Choose a location for the backup (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).

Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked, press OK, press YES to create the folder.

Registry Modifications: For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

Louis

#4 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

Well, as usual, it has fooled me once again. I had been trying to use a lens cleaner on it, but noticed it wasnt doing anything either, and that's when I decided to re-post the problem. After reading your suggestions above, I decided to try the cleaning again, but this time using a different lens cleaner. I had to eventually try 3 different cleaning CD's, but finally got one to run. Afte that, the other 2 also started working as well.

At any rate, the drive is working again (for now anyway), and I have installed my utilities program on here to help keep this thing half-way running correctly. All the CD/DVD's that I have loaded in the drive so far has worked, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick replies & help.

Have a great day,
2-Cups

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users