Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible malware issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bcrave

bcrave

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

My computer has been running unusually slow for awhile. I ran a virus check, it showed no problems found. I have used the disk cleaner and defragged and computer still continues to run slow. I went to Microsoft Newsgroup for help. It was suggested that I search for svchost.exe and if it was in any other area other than C\WINDOWS\systems32 that it was Malware. My search found:

svchost.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\$NtServicePackUninstall$ 14KB Application
SVCHOST.EXE-3530F672.pf C:\\WINDOWS\prefetch 15kb PFFile
svchost.exe C:\\WINDOWS\system32 14KB Application
svchost.exe C:\\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\j386 14KB Application
svchost.exe20070411-061418-00.hdmp C:\\WINDOWS\pchealth\ERRORREP\UserDumps 0KB HDMP file
svchost.exe20070411-061418-00.mdmp C:\\WINDOWS\pchealth\ERRORREP\UserDumps 0KB MDMP file
SMSvcHost.exe C:\\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WindowsCommunicationFoundation 120KB Application
SMSvcHost.exe.config C:\\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WindowsCommunicationFoundation 2KB Web Configuration file

I use McAfee Antivirus and run regualr scans, if the above are indeed Malware, why wouldn't McAfee pick up on this?

I would appreciate some help in getting my computer running better.

TheMicrosfot Newsgroup suggested this website for assistance in removing Malware.

Thank you,
bcrave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

If your computer seems to be slow, see Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) and can run other services underneath itself. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from .dll's. It runs from the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost where details of the services running under each instance of svchost.exe can be found. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task Manager in order to optimize the running of the various services.

svchost.exe SYSTEM (there can be more than one listed)
svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE (there can be more than one listed)

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging. The process ID's (PID's) are not static and can change with each logon but generally they stay nearly the same because they are running services all the time. The PID's must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file like svchost.exe. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. Another techinique is for the process to alter the registry and add itself as a Startup program so that it can run automatically each time the computer is booted. In XP, the legitimate Svchost.exe file is located in your C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder.

Other legitimate copies can be found in the following folders:
C:\I386
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SVCHOST.EXE-3530F672.pf

SMSvcHost.exe and SMSvcHost.exe.config can be found in this folder:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation

If svchost.exe is running as a startup (shows in msconfig), it can be bad as shown here and here. Make sure the spelling is correct. If it's scvhost.exe, then your dealing with a Trojan.

There are several ways to investigate and see what services a Svchost.exe process is controlling:Note: Process Explorer shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

Tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users