Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless internet not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

My mother has a Dell Inspiron 600m lapto running Windows xp pro. She has a Linksys wireless router with a DSL modem, but for some reason around a week ago she hasn't been able to connect to the internet wirelessly, only if she plugs in the ethernet cord. I'm able to access internet with my laptop wirelessly, so it can't be the router. When I check the network connection it shows connected (54 Mbps) but when we open IE we get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. I tried rebooting the router and modem, but it didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rene041482

rene041482

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Did you check to see if the wireless modem was turned off by accident? It can be turned off in the system tray, a physical switch on the computer , or a Fn key on the keyboard.

#3 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

I don't think that's the problem because the network connections says enabled, and it says connected, but thanks for the reply!

#4 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

Did you tried using other browser like firefox or opera.

If you are able access internet while connecting with Ethernet cord, this means the problem is with wireless. So just double check everything.

1) Make sure you entered the wireless key correctly
2) After that open the command prompt and try to ping some address like "www.bbc.co.uk" if you get a response, then problem will be your browser H:\>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=121
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=121

Try these and let us know how it goes
Cheers

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users