Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI express 16 died when added Sound Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Allister

Allister

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

HP isn't helping, lost the receipt to return PC and here's the problem.
Maybe you can help..

I bought a new HP and a graphics card to go with it.. Everything was working fine, except that the sound broke up a little when I was playing a game, so I bought a sound card..
After I added the sound card, the graphics card disappeared from the device manager, and has yet to return..

I've tried pulling the sound card, still no vid card, I tried reseating the vid card, to no effect..
I did a system recovery, to no effect..
I ran a hardware diagnostic, and it said the slot was working fine..
I scanned for hardware changes, still nothing..

I put the video card in my fiance's computer and it recognized it, so it's not the card..
I've tried everything I could think of, and HP tried everything they had in their knowledge base, other than admitting that the motherboard may be at fault..

Does anyone here have an recommendations?

Processor: dual core Athlon X2 4400
PC model: Compaq Presario SR5612F
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 3450 (PCI express 16)
Sound Card: edio Live Theater 4 (PCI)
Ram: 3 gigs

Thanks, Allister

Edited by Allister, 30 March 2009 - 09:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

Did you uninstall the old drivers which were being used?

You may want to try something like this, How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

you say its not recognized in the device manager, but are you still getting video through this card?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

Are you using the stock power supply? Did the video card come with the system when it was built? Does the video card require a separate PCI-E power connection? What I am getting at is your power supply may not be powerful enough and it may have been overloaded when you installed the PCI sound card. Since the Motherboard states the PCI-E slot is working correctly, and the card works in another computer I would be that its the power supply. However the motheboard could be wrong and the slot could be bad, not sure how that could have happend though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Allister

Allister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

Did you uninstall the old drivers which were being used?

You may want to try something like this, How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

Hi Louis,
Actually, I did the system recovery, wiping out everything, including any drivers..
I've not installed the drivers again because I didn't see it in the device manager..
I'll look into the hidden devices when I get home..

you say its not recognized in the device manager, but are you still getting video through this card?

No, no video through the PCIe card, I'm using the onboard till I get this figured out..

Edited by Allister, 30 March 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#6 Allister

Allister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

Are you using the stock power supply? Did the video card come with the system when it was built? Does the video card require a separate PCI-E power connection? What I am getting at is your power supply may not be powerful enough and it may have been overloaded when you installed the PCI sound card. Since the Motherboard states the PCI-E slot is working correctly, and the card works in another computer I would be that its the power supply. However the motheboard could be wrong and the slot could be bad, not sure how that could have happend though.

I am using the stock power supply, but according to the requirements of the Graphics Card I should have plenty of power.
I don't believe it needs another connection, nothing came with the card..

I took out the sound card to see if that was the problem, and it still didn't see the Vid Card.
I've found a multitude of this problem upon further research, cards that just stop working for no good reason, in Vista..
I have a few ideas on what to try, but am still open to suggestion.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Could very well be a problem in Vista, What Video card are you using? Some video cards require a separate power connection this will be located on the edge of the card. I doubt it would have worked in the first place without this connection made. Some OEM power supplies are rated more than they should be and their actual output could vary and cause problems. Depending on the manufacture of the power supply it may be rated high enough but still may not be powerful enough.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 Allister

Allister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

Could very well be a problem in Vista, What Video card are you using? Some video cards require a separate power connection this will be located on the edge of the card. I doubt it would have worked in the first place without this connection made. Some OEM power supplies are rated more than they should be and their actual output could vary and cause problems. Depending on the manufacture of the power supply it may be rated high enough but still may not be powerful enough.

Firstly, I want to thank you all for you help..
Secondly, I seem to gotten it working, still need the updated drivers, but it's working..

Seems when the sound card was installed it did something funky to the vid card driver..
I reinstalled the driver, and it seems to be working now, thank goodness..

and for the record, it's an ATI Radeon HD 3450, 512mb..

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it.

Edited by Allister, 30 March 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:17 AM

Great :thumbsup: Glad you got it working without having to replace anything!
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 Allister

Allister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

Not as glad as I am..
The poor people at HP got an ear full when they couldn't help me.
And all it took was reinstalling the drivers, sheesh..
Why didn't they say to try that I wonder..

I like the Indian people, but sometimes I wish it was a person with English as a first language would be nice to talk to.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

I am using the stock power supply, but according to the requirements of the Graphics Card I should have plenty of power.
I don't believe it needs another connection, nothing came with the card..

I took out the sound card to see if that was the problem, and it still didn't see the Vid Card.
I've found a multitude of this problem upon further research, cards that just stop working for no good reason, in Vista..
I have a few ideas on what to try, but am still open to suggestion.

are you absolutly certain? you cant go just by wattage. when I purchased my ATI 3870 x2 video card, it said 500 watt or greater power supply recomended. so im like ok, I got a 600 watt, no problem there, right? problem was that 600 watt didnt have the right amperage and I fried it in 3 days time. How much wattage does your PSU have over its 12v rails, and how many 12v rails does it have?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users