Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:41 PM
I am running microsoft XP Pro (SP2)
I use the following software:
Residents: Nod32, Spysweeper, Win Patrol, MS antispyware
On-demand (protection system): AntiVir (free), Ad-aware (free), Ewido (free), A2 (free), SpyBot - All for manual scanning back-up
About a week ago I found that I had a problem on my PC.
1. When I attempt to do a manual scan using one of the AV program (AntiVir, Ewido or A2) the process starts properly, and after
about 10-15 minutes of running (when the scan is about 40%-60% complete) my PC locks-up without warning.
In order to continue working on the PC, I have to reboot.
The same problems occurs when I run NOD32 deep-scanning
2. When I use SpySweeper, Ad-Aware or Registry cleaners (RegSeeker or ACE) the process runs (completely) with no problem (running time up to 10 minutes).
The same happens when I scan using NOD32 Anti-Virus (regular scanning - not deep-scanning). Note: 0 virus found
3. Sometimes, when I am running a manual scan using an AV program, with no warning a blue screen appears with the following
text "DRIVER_IRLQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ......... (and ending with) Beginning Dump of Physical Memory", then the PC shuts down.
In order to try and overcome the problem, I un-installed NOD32, to see if the problem persists, and if there is an incompatibilty
between different Anti-Virus programs - there was no difference - the same problem occurred i.e.
with AntiVir, Ewido, A2 the PC / OS locks-up after approximately 10-15 minutes of running properly.
4. My HD is properly defragmented (using DISKEEPER - smart scheduling).
5. Sygate Firewall sends different pop-up windows (I don't know if related to the problem above)
"An application named NT Kernel & System (file name ntoskrnl.exe) has been blocked from accessing the network."
"An application named Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (file name svchost.exe) has been blocked from accessing the network"
6. When I surf on the 'Net I have no problems - the PC runs smoothly.
The same when the PC is switched-on (but not being used) and NOD32 guard is running.
7. When my children use the PC for certain games the problem does occur - and the PC locks-up after 12-18 minutes.
I hope that I have described clearly all the anomalies that I have experienced during the past week.
Thanks for your assistance