Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC locks-up during AV manual scan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

I am running microsoft XP Pro (SP2)
I use the following software:
Residents: Nod32, Spysweeper, Win Patrol, MS antispyware
On-demand (protection system): AntiVir (free), Ad-aware (free), Ewido (free), A2 (free), SpyBot - All for manual scanning back-up

About a week ago I found that I had a problem on my PC.

1. When I attempt to do a manual scan using one of the AV program (AntiVir, Ewido or A2) the process starts properly, and after
about 10-15 minutes of running (when the scan is about 40%-60% complete) my PC locks-up without warning.
In order to continue working on the PC, I have to reboot.
The same problems occurs when I run NOD32 deep-scanning

2. When I use SpySweeper, Ad-Aware or Registry cleaners (RegSeeker or ACE) the process runs (completely) with no problem (running time up to 10 minutes).
The same happens when I scan using NOD32 Anti-Virus (regular scanning - not deep-scanning). Note: 0 virus found

3. Sometimes, when I am running a manual scan using an AV program, with no warning a blue screen appears with the following
text "DRIVER_IRLQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ......... (and ending with) Beginning Dump of Physical Memory", then the PC shuts down.

In order to try and overcome the problem, I un-installed NOD32, to see if the problem persists, and if there is an incompatibilty
between different Anti-Virus programs - there was no difference - the same problem occurred i.e.
with AntiVir, Ewido, A2 the PC / OS locks-up after approximately 10-15 minutes of running properly.

4. My HD is properly defragmented (using DISKEEPER - smart scheduling).

5. Sygate Firewall sends different pop-up windows (I don't know if related to the problem above)
"An application named NT Kernel & System (file name ntoskrnl.exe) has been blocked from accessing the network."
and
"An application named Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (file name svchost.exe) has been blocked from accessing the network"

6. When I surf on the 'Net I have no problems - the PC runs smoothly.
The same when the PC is switched-on (but not being used) and NOD32 guard is running.

7. When my children use the PC for certain games the problem does occur - and the PC locks-up after 12-18 minutes.

I hope that I have described clearly all the anomalies that I have experienced during the past week.
Thanks for your assistance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

While you can usually have any number of anti-malware aps like Adaware, MS Beta, etc installed at the same time the same is not true with AV aps which conflict with each other. Remove all your Anti-Virus aps and reinstall just one. AVG (free) is one spoken highly of on this board.

You can also use only one software firewall. Pick one and delete the others. Delete and reinstall the one you want to use so you can set its settings properly (You already have some necessary system dlls being blocked - NT Kernel & System and svchost which may normally have several instances running at any given time.

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:10 PM

Thank you Enthusiast for your prompt assistance.
All the mentioned Anti-Virus apls are non resident i.e. not active. They are used for
"on-demand" scanner only (same as for on-line AV apls scanners). As I mentioned in my previous thread, I have only one
active AV apl - NOD32 - and I am using only one firewall - Sygate (MS firewall is disabled).
I run on-line AV scan (Trend Micro and Symantec) the same problem happened after 19minutes (90% completed) and 15 mn (65%)
respectively with no virus found.

NOD32 is my lonely active AV apl (active Guard on the System tray). I can run only its
"On-demand Scanner" (duration: 8 -9 minutes) but not the "In-depth Analysis scan"
which last around 20 minutes (the OS freezes between 13 -15 mn). All these scans with no
finding.

I am trying to find answers to the following questions:
1. Why the AV scanning process run smooth and stop only after approx 15 minutes
2. Why these [i]15 minutes[\i]
3. All anti-malware apls complete their scanning processes , being within the "allowed
time" i.e. less than 10mn.
4. Why this problem does not happen when the PC is ON (but not being used) and in the mean time
the NOD32 resident scanner (the guard on the System tray) is scanning the PC and the Net
5. Why this problem does not happen when I am surfing on the 'Net (sometime for hours).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users