Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.Brisv.A

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bhardini

bhardini

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

My computer was infected some time ago. Then i had moved to another state. I had recieved my computer in the mail and been using it for about a month, then symantec decided that it would magically detect it. Removal tool they offered wouldn't detect it so i thought i was fine. Then i had tried to load an mp3 at my computer at work a few weeks later that i had written to a cd from before the move. My job"s Norton identified the virus as soon as i tried to copy one of the specific mp3's. I had talked to one of my co-workers and they refered me here. I think my best bet is to wipe C: because the guy that i had talked to at symantec told me there was no way for me to identify all the infected files and things that needed to be done to my computer. I have changed all of my bank accounts and any passwords that i may have possibly used online using my home computer. Can anyone possibly suggest a wipe program and any helpfull instructions?

Edited by bhardini, 30 March 2009 - 07:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

DO NOT FORMAT until you hear from more people on this site, but the best way to wipe your computer is to do a clean install with your OS disk.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 bhardini

bhardini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

i don't have an OS disk. my computer came with OS already installed. My backup is partitioned to another drive.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

After googling this infection for almost 30 minutes I would suggest a clean install of the OS

I agree with the symantec tech

The infection runs very deep, but seems to just ruin all media files it can get to.

I don't think it would bother your recovery partition so a manufacturer reinstall without wipe would be OK.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users