Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you roll back Windows Update?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Toso

Toso

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

Ill give the short version...Downloaded a program from a normally "reliable site" Worms, trojans , highjacks insued. Came here got mega help and cleared most of the problems with Malewarebytes Anti-Maleware, and ATF Cleaner.

Now however it seems windows got hurt in the fix. Tried to inatall a program downloaded it but no install prompt. Tried to install game dvd cant read disk doesn't even know disk is there. My memory is restored but now Security Center says inactive and Windows Service Pack 3 is gone or is there but showe no file size or option to remove in Add Remove programs. Windows Update says it has been successfully downloaded and wont give me prompt to run again. Windows is acting strange and I am getting popups because I have no security center active.

Is it possible to rollback all updates to just before Service Pack 3 and then trick Windows Update to fix a now buggy OS? I am using XP Pro.

Thx for your help in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:55 AM

Ill give the short version...Downloaded a program from a normally "reliable site" Worms, trojans , highjacks insued. Came here got mega help and cleared most of the problems with Malewarebytes Anti-Maleware, and ATF Cleaner.

Now however it seems windows got hurt in the fix. Tried to inatall a program downloaded it but no install prompt. Tried to install game dvd cant read disk doesn't even know disk is there. My memory is restored but now Security Center says inactive and Windows Service Pack 3 is gone or is there but showe no file size or option to remove in Add Remove programs. Windows Update says it has been successfully downloaded and wont give me prompt to run again. Windows is acting strange and I am getting popups because I have no security center active.

Is it possible to rollback all updates to just before Service Pack 3 and then trick Windows Update to fix a now buggy OS? I am using XP Pro.

Thx for your help in advance. :thumbsup:

Hi Toso,

I see that you didn't respond to the last post in your thread in the Am I Infected Forum. It's possible that you still have malware which is causing the symptoms you describe and you may need to go through the procedures in the HJT forum, but you should ask in your thread in the Am I Infected forum if they would advise that.

Zllio

#3 Toso

Toso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

OK thx I will except I can no longer install programs which I thought is a windows problem. Not being able to install programs is not letting me complete the final step of installing Superantispyware. It only downloads a file and does not prompt me for an exe install.

I will keep trying.

THx for the help Zllio

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hi toso,

Don't just keep trying to install it. Simply tell them in the other thread what happens when you try to install it, so they can decide which step would be best to go to next. There are possibiliites to run malware programs from an external drive, but you will need help getting the right ones.

Zllio

#5 Toso

Toso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

Also when I click windows update an error pops up and says:

Windows cannot find '(null)'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search

I have no idea whats going on with Windows....Should I uninstall explorer 8 and go back to Ex 7?

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

You should finish at the Am I Infected section unless they have told you you're finished there and sent you to Software, because otherwise, you'll end up getting too many changes to your computer at once, and then it will be difficult to sort out what is behind the problems. Do you know what I mean?

:thumbsup:
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users