Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop making odd noise, likely won't start

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

Ok, so today I was using my laptop, a 2004 (I think) Sony Vaio and went to print something. The printer isn't wireless, so I went and plugged in the USB and did that, when I was done, I went back into the kitchen and set the laptop back onto the counter.

Almost immediately, I got a BSOD with the error saying kernal_data something. I turned off manually. When I went to restart, after I pushed the power, it beeped and showed the Vaio symbol, and then the right side started making a clicking sound. Knowing that couldn't be good, I quickly turned it off again.

And that's where I am now. Where shall I go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

" kernal_data something, right side started making a clicking sound "

Sounds like the hard drive failed.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Well, that obviously isn't good.

Luckily I have a fairly recent backup, but I have some new music since then, plus I don't have programs backed up.

Any likelihood I can repair it/get it to work long enough to do a complete backup?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

If you feel comfortable in doing so, try taking the hard drive out to see if that is causing the clicking noise. It seems like the culprit as fairjoeblue suggested. This will also help figure out if it's only the hard drive that is bad.

You can't backup programs, at least not easily. You could try, but most of the time they will not work. This is because some files are installed into the registry of your windows folder.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Whoa, sorry about the delay, I've had a bunch of stuff going on. Anyway, I think I'm ready to take the HD out, but I'd like some instructions on how to do so properly. If it might be a bit too difficult, I have a friend who builds his own computers and stuff, he said he'd help me out if needed.

You can't backup programs, at least not easily. You could try, but most of the time they will not work. This is because some files are installed into the registry of your windows folder.

I guess a better for me to have said would be to try and make an image of the drive. :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

May help, Installing A Hard Drive - Step by Step PCMech - http://www.pcmech.com/article/installing-a...e-step-by-step/

Louis

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

I haven't used this program, Paragon Drive Backup, but it sounds pretty good. I have used another one of their programs involving partitioning hard drives, and it worked very well. They are giving away free registration codes too, but I don't for how long. http://www.paragon-software.com/registrati...uteractive.html
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

Ok, so I took off the bottom panel to take out the hard drive, but there doesn't seem to be a way. It's in its little space, and at the end it has pin connectors, but I can't seem to slide it backwards to release them, or find a way to take more off the case off, without disassembling the whole thing. I'll put a pic of this.

Also, taking of the other panel to see what was in it, the ram sticks were in there, but the little holders seem to be weak. One of the sticks was slightly angled upwards, and one of the clips broke off when I went to fix it. I've left that stick out, and can't seem to get it back in without more room to slide it. I might as well put a pic of that, too.

http://yfrog.com/0nimgp0002yj

http://yfrog.com/0nimgp0004vwgj

http://yfrog.com/0nimgp0005pj

You can see the little clip on the left broke off.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

You need to use angles :thumbsup: ! You shouldn't have to take any other part of the laptop apart.

It looks to me like you'll have to lift the end of the hard drive that's plugged in first. Lift it up kind of at an angle, but be gentle not to bend the pins! Do those screws around it look like they are holding it back at all?

The ram sticks in laptops go in at an angle. Slide the stick in at an angle, and once it looks like the end is making a connection to the slot, push it down. The tabs, or at least the tab, may need to be pushed outwards to allow the stick to go down.

#10 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

All the screws that held the drive in place are removed, all the rest are on the drive itself.

I can't seem to find a way to lift up the connected side at all, there's no room.

I can lift the back side up enough that it'd be able to clear the lip of the pit (for lack of a better word, lol), but I'm wary to pull it with any real force, since you said you think it should be lifted from the front.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

Opps, disregard my previous post. I meant lift the end of the hard drive that's NOT connected. You may need to use a little force.

#12 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Aight, I got the drive out.

Now I assume I turn the computer on and see if it still makes noise?

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Yes, a computer will work without the hard drive connected. Turn it on and see if the noise is gone.

#14 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Turned it on, usual start noise, and then silence. Then it says on the screen, "Operating System not found."

So apparently it is the hard drive making the noise.

#15 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Well, it seems as though the hard drive is failing. You can put it back in and start it up. You'll have to hope it lasts long enough to back up your files. Don't worry, if the hard drive does die when your system is on, it won't hurt anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users