Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't update Antivirus, regedit close early, cmd won't open and browser problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WayneDx2

WayneDx2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hello all,

First off thanks to everyone here for the help they give. I, like a lot of others, have been looking online and couldn't find any site as helpful as this one seems.

I'm running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

My problems started March 23 when my antivirus (Avira) quit updating. I didn't think much of it at the time figuring they were having problems on their end
and it would resolve by the next scheduled auto-update. When the update didn't work a second time I figured I might be in trouble.

I started looking around the internet for advice sites and the next thing I noticed was my google searches were redirecting to other sites. I could click on
the back button and the site I wanted originally would show up. After using other sites advice (yahoo answers, ask.com results) I came across your site but
when I tried to bring it up in my browser (I have both IE 7 and Firefox) it would either crash the browser or just not load anything. Along the way the other sites
recommended things to do using regedit and the cmd prompt, but when I would open regedit it would stay open for around 20 to 30 second then close all on
it's own and the cmd prompt would not even open.

I'm now using a clean laptop to view and post on this site and have taken steps from other peoples similar problems I've seen in the forums here. Here are some
of the steps I've done from advice you all have given other people.

1) Thinking it was just a anti-virus problem I downloaded and tried to use several other antivirus programs with both scans and update procedures failing. One's I've tried are
Avira, avg, avast. Also had my Ad-Aware quit updating and since tried downloading Spybot S&D which did find some things, but also will not update.

2)Downloaded Malwarebytes and scanned my computer. This did find quite a few virus' that were on my computer however like my anti-virus I can't get it to
update.

3) Downloaded Dr.Web Cure It and ran in safe mode. This is finding many files that everything else missed but after the scan when I exit and reboot the problems
still remain in the normal boot.

So, now I'm at my wits end and instead of gleaming tips from other posts I'm hoping that if I post all of my problems someone can walk me through as maybe what I'm
taking from others posts isn't exactly what I should be doing to solve mine.

Thanks for any help and let's let the healing begin!

Ps. Just saw that I probably shouldn't have tried to start things myself by perusing the other posts i thought might be similar to my own. Sorry about that.

Edited by WayneDx2, 30 March 2009 - 12:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

download the definition updates from another computer, save them to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD and transfer to the infected machine. Then just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install the update. If you cannot transfer or install from the infected machine, try installing the file directly from the flash drive to your machine.Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current database definitions is to install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program, update through MBAM's interface, copy the definitions (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system.
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it. Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode and make sure you reboot afterwards. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Edited by garmanma, 30 March 2009 - 09:54 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 WayneDx2

WayneDx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Garmanma,

Shot you a message but will relay here as well. Was able to get the problem fixed with the assistance of my brother who is a network administrator. He found the pesky file in my registry and got it wiped out.

Thank you for the help and time you spent looking at my problem.

WayneDx2

P.S. Just noticed the part about keeping things in forum... SORRY for the pm... :thumbsup:

Edited by WayneDx2, 30 March 2009 - 10:30 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

Glad to hear it's running OK
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Weeeksy

Weeeksy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

I have the same problem. What was the registry key?

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

I have the same problem. What was the registry key?

Weeeksy,

You are receiving assistance here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/215141/google-searches-redirect-to-ad-sites/ Please stick to that topic until directed otherwise. Posting in someone else's thread is bad etiquette and is called HiJacking. It can also make things very confusing for everyone when posts and responses from multiple folks are jumbled. It can be difficult to know who is responding to whom and which directions should be followed.

Orange Blossom ~ forum moderator
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users