Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 notjustnow

notjustnow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

For about two years, the screen will suddenly go black and stay that way until I reboot - it can happen at any time, for example on or off the internet, working on documents or playing games, just after startup or after working for hours. Sometimes it won't happen for weeks and then it wil happen 2 or 3 times in an hour - I have tried to track the problem before but have never got anywhere. There is only one error that occurs in event viewer - sometimes it is around the same time as the BSOD and sometimes it is there but nothing happens to the computer.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 19/03/2009
Time: 1:44:25 PM
User: N/A
Description:
The Cam 3200, WDM Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Yesterday, I researched the message and thought it was caused by some software that was related to a digital camera so I uninstalled/deleted the relevant folders.

Today, the computer has crashed again but the error is now slightly different.

Date: 20/03/2009
Time: 9:15:56 AM
Description:
The Cam 3200, WDM Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I have found this error (on Google) related to other types of analog to digital conversion equipment but not to the Cam 3200.

Some of my computer specifications are:
Intel Pentuim 4 2.40 GHz
ABIT IS7 series motherboard
Radeon 9700 Pro video card
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro (pack 3)

Any suggestions as to what I should do next??

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

If you have the drivers/software installed for a digicam...you simply need to remove such (I suspect that the files are damaged)...then reinstall if you want.

FWIW: Removing installed software should be done via Add/Remove Programs. Removing drivers may need to be done via Add/Remove Programs and via Device Manager.

This may be useful: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

#3 notjustnow

notjustnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

Hi Louis

Thanks for the ideas so far but the computer is still crashing. Firstly, I removed some of the files for the digicam by Add/Remove Programs but it wasn't completely successful so I had to delete some manually. After your reply, I deleted the greyed drivers using the tutorial.

Today the same error has occured twice in the event viewer - once nothing happened and once the computer crashed.

Date: 2/04/2009
Time: 10:08:24 AM
Description:
The system cannot find the file specified.

If it was a different problem causing the computer to crash, would an error always show up in the event viewer? Admittingly, the above error always occurs within a minute of the crash.

Is a low level format the only other option?

#4 837837_ca

837837_ca

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

Check your XP startup and services for Cam 3200 or WDM capture references.

To check these functions... Go to Start=>Run=> type msconfig in the text box=>OK. This opens the SCU window. select the startup tab and check for Cam 3200. Uncheck if it is listed (this will disable Cam 3200 services when XP boots). If problem clears than there is a conflict with the cam driver/ software and XP.

Alternatively, look in Services tab for either Cam 3200 or WDM capture service. If found, then close SCU window...go to control panel=>administrative tools=>services. Find the correct object(s)=>right click=>in the drop down menu...click Stop service if Status shows Started. Next click on Properties command and in the "Startup Type" field select Disabled.

Test if problem disappears.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

Well...did you remove the drivers which started all this...those for the digicam?

Drivers (and any other file) can become damaged...and create problems for the system.

When such is suspected, IMO, the smart thing to do is to uninstall them and then reinstall a fresh set. If the WDM driver for the webcam is the designated source of the problem...either eliminate it or try the install anew, that's the way I approach such things.

Louis

#6 notjustnow

notjustnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hi folks

Yes I have uninstalled all files to do with the digicam including devices, drivers and services - but the computer is still crashing and the error message says it can not find the specified file - same as last post.

I have been into msconfig and can't find any mention of Cam3200 or WDM in startup or services.

What else can I do please?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

You can use Autoruns...to find what sounds like a startup item...and remove it or disable it.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Please...start with the Logon tab and leave the others alone.

If you still haven't found what you consider the appropriate item...then I suggest taking a look at the Drivers tab. If you have to do that, do not remove anything, only disable the item. You can remove it later, once convinced that it causes no problem for the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users