Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE locks up on start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BarrettM107

BarrettM107

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

Not always but often it takes up to three tries to start IE. It freezes on start up with only a tab that says "connecting".
X button presses but doesnt work. the only way to end it is the Three Finger Salute and try again. It usually works on the third try. Other symptoms when it does work are general sluggishness (not just in connection speed but doing simple things like scrolling navigating back etc) and 100% CPU usage when clicking on any links.
Interestingly the Task Manager shows *two* IE's running (when It locks up not when running normally). Here are some screen shots.

Posted Image

Here is the error report it sends.

Posted Image

Here is the HJT scan

[OOPS didn't see the 'No HJT files' sign]

I have SB SnD with TeaTimer running and a scan turns up nothing spectacular.
It doesn't really *act* hijacked doing things like going places I didn't ask it to. Its more what it doesn't do.

Oh and, Win XP Home, IE 7.0

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

Edited by BarrettM107, 29 March 2009 - 06:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

I do not believe that you are infected
The error report contents is telling you it created a dump file. I do not have a clue how to read one
When you close IE what shows in Task Manager, anything?

Moving to more appropriate forum
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 BarrettM107

BarrettM107
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

No. Both instances of IE go away when I get it to close.

#4 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

This happens to me all the time when I'm using Firefox and IE. It's just that the computer is running so slow that it freezes. You're not infected. You probably just have a lot of applications on your computer, causing it to run slow.
If you'd like, go ahead and do a scan.
Just like Garmanma said, the error report tells you that it created a dump file.
When it shows two IE applications, it's just due to the fact that it's running slow, and it duplicates.

Edited by KonamiYoto, 01 April 2009 - 09:34 PM.

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

... So taking a quick look at it, would not imply that you are infected... But that doesn't mean you aren't either... I would suggest doing scans with; AVG or Avast, and Ad-aware... I would also suggest doing a registry scan... Internet Explorer should not have to run two instances of the program to work, I have found that this typically can mean that there are spyware or virus's, or on some occasions, it can also mean registry problems... A general rule of thumb I have come to express a lot, if any web browser is hanging up, or creating more then one instance without you telling it too; check for infections, and check registry...

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

I would not recommend getting automated tools to tinker with your registry (registry cleaners). More times than you may realize, they can corrupt your registry and cause issues. I have been around this site long enough to see a few people who have caused an issue by using an automated registry cleaner.

#7 BarrettM107

BarrettM107
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

Ok AGV turns up nothing. SB found a cookie. Will AdAware find anything SB cant? Can you recomend a registry scanner?

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Read my above post......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users