Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows SP3 Problem.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I have just reformatted my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ PC using my legitimate copy of Windows XP Home Edition SP2 CD ROM which came with my machine when I bought it. The install went perfect and my machine is working very well indeed. After install was finished I re-installed the drivers from my motherboard CD and my Graphics CD. I turned on the onboard Firewall and went to Windows updates using the default IE6.
I began to update my PC and eventually got to the SP3 download. It downloaded OK and went to install. It went through the process of making the back ups etc and then proceeded to install SP3. About two thirds of the way through I got a message saying something along the lines of "a file encountered was not the file expected" and SP3 could not be installed. It then rolled back to the previous SP2 install.
My Windows Update settings were set at "Download Only" and over the next few hours SP3 tried to install another three times with the same result. On the final attempt I got instead the message saying that all the features had not installed and to restart my machine.
Since rebooting that time I no longer get the updates message saying SP3 is available. I carried on reinstalling my Programs and when I next opened up Add/Remove programs I noticed that an entry for SP3 had appeared but with no file size in the right hand column only the PC icon followed by Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the left hand column. I checked in System but it still says SP2 is the OS. I cannot uninstall the SP3 install from the Add/Remove list as there is no option there.
Windows update must think it has installed ok as I have received no more notifications that it is available. I thought that I would go to the Windows Download Center and download a copy to my desktop and try to install it over the one above but it says there that the version available is only for technicians making multi installs and advises for a single PC to go to Windows Update and download through there which of course I cannot do as it thinks the program has already installed.
Is there another way to uninstall the SP3 that is in my Add/Remove programs list in order that I can try to correct this situation?. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

As to whether you can install over what you've got (or not got), I'm not sure. You could use/install Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and see if it lists anything for SP3 and uninstall any tidbits with that. I'll bet nothing SP3 appears on the list, though, since your Add/Remove shows 0 bytes. You can grab WinInstallerCleanupUtility here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

But I can tell you I downloaded the full copy of SP3 and installed it just fine, and I've NEVER installed an SP before! I'm no IT tech and am running one pc at home, not a network of thousands. I did this following Bill Castner's (MS MVP) recommendation on Broadband Reports DSL forums. I got my SP3 at the MS site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I installed in Safe Mode at his suggestion, so that nothing, especially security apps, would impede a clean install. For the record, I made a CD copy of the full SP3 also and recently had to do it all over again following a reformat/reinstall of OS, like yourself, and the SP3 installed nicely the second time in Safe mode as well. Seems like the process took about 30-40 minutes total, but can't remember for sure.

Hope this helps you. Another more expert than myself may offer other suggestions. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by buttoni, 29 March 2009 - 06:32 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

<<...but it says there that the version available is only for technicians making multi installs and advises for a single PC to go to Windows Update and download through there...>>

Ignore the verbiage about going to the Win Update site...just download from the Network install site, then install it from your hard drive.

Louis

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

I tried again using the above advice first to try and uninstall to no avail. I then decided to download and install the full copy without using Windows Update. More or less the same results with the following messages at the end.
First,
"A component file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest"

Followed by,
"Service Pack 3 installation did not complete, Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly."

Well talk about an understatement. On reboot I thought at first everything was ok as everything seemed to be the same. I still had the SP3 installation with no files in the ARP list and Internet access through Firefox and IE6. I then very stupidly in retrospect decided to reinstall IE8 which I had uninstalled prior to SP3 installation as per instructions. I knew something was wrong when I could not connect to the net via IE8. I had access through Firefox but not IE8.
After trying various things including a System Restore I realised that in my Control Panel every program was there and opening as it should except for "Internet Options" I next looked in the ARP list and the install info for IE8 said 2.4MB on the file size column. I thought that was quite small considering that Firefox is 25.5MB. I decided to uninstall it in order to get a fresh download and try again but found I couldn't, not even in safe mode. Every time it got so far and told me that "Set-up cannot copy the file ieeula.chm". I googled it and came across a post on how to replace the file using %windir%Help to copy and paste back ups from the registry. I did this several times each time going a little further forward but after replacing 5-6 files I hit a brick wall when I needed a file called "ieencode.dll" and couldn't find it anywhere.
I thought enough is enough and used Comodo Registry Cleaner to do a Power Clean which incidently got rid of the empty SP3 entry and then used my XP Home Edition SP2 CD ROM to do a Repair and try to keep my settings, programs etc. This worked very well and I am now back up and running on all fronts. I have turned Automatic Updates off as I do not want to attempt another update of SP3. I only use IE for Updates and Firefox for all other internet work.
My question now though is should I stick with IE6 or should I try to install IE8 which worked fine prior to the SP3 installation disaster?. You can understand that now I am wary although this evening I have installed Open Office 3.1 and a couple of smaller programs without problems. If I decide to reinstall IE8 is there anyway I can download Windows Security Updates etc without installing SP3 at all?.
Again thanks for any advise/help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users