Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bootskin problems! computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

bootskin did something to my computer and it won't shut down or restart!
I tried doing a system restore but apparently that requires a restart to work effectively!
I could use some help.I have a backup copy to replace the files that are bad,but I'm not sure what files to replace.
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:41 AM

Hi triggerhappyappypappy,

A lot of people have boot problems caused by bootskin. In the information I found, which spans 2005 to 2008, there's a driver named vidstub.sys which needs to be removed before bootskin can be uninstalled. For starters, see if you have this driver at C: \windows\system32\drivers\vidstub.sys

If you find it, rename it vidstub.zzz and then see if you can restart the computer. (All forums say to delete this driver, but I'm cautious when it comes to deleting drivers.) If you are able to rename it, try to uninstall any versions of bootskin you have. It may be necessary to use a boot disk to get to this file.

See this thread at Stardock Forum, where there is a discussion that goes into 2008 with regard to this one driver:

http://forums.stardock.com/91272

They also list the following help address: support@stardock.com

Hope this helps.

Zllio

#3 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

I thank you for your help, But for some strange reason my system restore finally kicked in 2 days later and repaired whatever was ailing my machine...

I'm not quite sure what happened, but I am happy it is fixed.
I know it is not a recommended method of shutting down,but I just pulled the plug on her. and my system restore took care of the rest when I turned her back on.( the second time I turned on)
I will look into what you posted and try to find a cause of this. Thanks again

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

The mysterious workings of the XP. It sounds like you took the easiest and most effective route. That's always the preferred method.

Thanks for posting back!

#5 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

Do you think,just unplugging the computer could cause damage to it?
I know what I have heard, But I haven't had any bad results yet!
I have done this in the past on my first PC. I had an old "hand me down" windows 98, that gave me pure HELL !!!
But it was so screwed up, I couldn't tell if it hurt it or not..
Have a good day. Thanks for everything!

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

With my computer, there's a difference between pushing the button which takes about 5 seconds and accidently kicking the cable with my foot and causing it to fall out. In the latter case, my computer dies on the spot. I can guess that the 5-second delay is allowing for some shutdown functionality while the other is not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users