Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus 2009

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Viking62

Viking62

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

I have what I think is the antivirus2009 virus on my Dell Latitude D520 laptop. I have run Malware umpteen times, both quick and full scans, and cant get rid of it. Every time it finds the same two trojans and says they have been removed. I sometimes get a red dot with an X through it in the system tray on start-up and sometimes I dont. But always it tries to connect to the net to bring up a page tellinf me I have a security problem. I'm not exactly a computer guru but can follow instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Attached is the results of the mbam scan. Thanks Mike.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.35
Database version: 1909
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

3/29/2009 3:14:04 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-29 (15-14-04).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 71186
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Dropper) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Dropper) -> Data: system32\userinit.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Sorry forgot. I'm running Windows XP Pro

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

-----------------------------------------

SAS,may take a long time to scan
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Edited by garmanma, 29 March 2009 - 07:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

I cant log in when I re-boot in safemode. Its like I'm entering the wrong password but I'm not. Any ideas?

#5 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Ok I got it. heres the log from superspyware scan. Thanks again for helping. Mike

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/29/2009 at 10:24 PM

Application Version : 4.26.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 3819
Trace Rules Database Version: 1773

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:27:11

Memory items scanned : 233
Memory threats detected : 1
Registry items scanned : 6687
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 39284
File threats detected : 7

Trojan.Dropper/UserInit-Fake
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USERINIT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USERINIT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\USERINIT.EXE-0743FDA9.pf

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\svctormts\Cookies\svctormts@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\svctormts\Cookies\svctormts@traffic-go[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\svctormts\Cookies\svctormts@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\svctormts\Cookies\svctormts@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\svctormts\Cookies\svctormts@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt

#6 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks again you guys are geniuses. Mike

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

If there are no longer signs of malware then please....

Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

-------------------------------

[/list]Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software, crack sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Done. thanks again Mike

#9 caseycm2009

caseycm2009

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

I think I have something similar, but Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware identified the two registry entries as Trojan.Agent vs. Trojan.Dropper. My symptom is a DOS window keeps popping up, and it's doing something with a temp file naming convention je*.tmp. Searching on userinit.exe, I see one in the prefetch directory and I don't know if that is normal -- it is userinit.exe-30B18140.pf and is 45.8 KB. Does it sound like I should follow these same instructions ? I'm sort of a novice and am a bit worried about the Boot in Safe mode, because my Thinkpad has a bunch of Lenovo junk on it that I hope doesn't interfere.
Thank you.
Chris

#10 caseycm2009

caseycm2009

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Somebody recommended Combofix for this problem.
Chris

#11 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

start your own topic.this will get you a quicker reply

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Attention caseycm2009

ComboFix logs should not to be posted or discussed outside the HijackThis forums. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please create a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Explain the nature of your problem. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.

If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.