Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

restart problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

when i select restart my compaq presario notebook fails to fully reboot.it shuts down,begins to restart then stops at blank screen after compaq logo.hp told me to do a power drain that is shut down remove battery hold down power button for 1 minute then refit battery and start up.this worked for 1 go then back to normal.it is annoying when superantispyware wants me to restart to remove malware.i say no to restart then select shutdown and then turn on again normally.is this ok?hp say i can take it back to be repaired as it is under warranty but i dont really want to as it will all be reset to factory conditions and will have to reinstall my norton 360 etc.any ideas which way to go anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

sounds like you have a bad RAM module. Go to Microsoft's website and download the MemTester ISO file and burn it to a disc. Boot with the disk and see if you get any errors.

This of course would be covered under warranty if this is the problem.

#3 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

couldnt find any reference to memtester iso on microsoft website.did find memory diagnostic tool but this requires the computer to do a restart which it wont do.did hard drive test and this was okay

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

You can download the Memtest ISO image from Here. If the laptop is under warranty I would save all your important files and take it in for repairs. The only other option you have is to rule out a software issue by restoring the Laptop back to factory settings, which is what the manufacture will do anyways. Any removal of the hardware will result in you voiding your warranty. There is no real way to test the components (accept for the memory and HDD) without removing them.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

thanks for your replies.seeing as it never restarted from the day i bought it i am sure it is not a software issue so i might as well take it in to get sorted.thx again

#6 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

this is weird.i took laptop for repairs today.the man in the shop started it up hit restart and it did.first time ever!i looked like a complete idiot.so i got it home restarted a few more times and everything seemed okay.i just scanned with sas.it found some cookies and asked me to reboot.so i did and it got stuck again.so i turned it off with the power button and started it again.for the hell of it i then hit restart again and it restarted no problem.wtf

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

:thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

i sort of know whats going on.i connect to interned with usb modem.if this is inserted when restart is selected it gets stuck.but if its out it restarts fine.so its either. 1.a faulty usb modem. 2.you shouldnt leave it in when you restart or 3.i AM a complete idiot---------------- or maybe a combination of all 3

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Any way you can connect the modem through Ethernet cable?

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

Go in the BIOS & see if it is set to boot from a USB device.
If it is disable the boot USB device feature.

It may also be set to boot from a network in the BIOS .
If it is disable that.

Simply having the modem plugged in shouldn't cause an issue unless it is set to boot from it some way.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#11 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

ok as we say in england it all went t*ts up.first i downloaded some windows updates installed them,removed usb modem and restarted as asked.all went ok.did a couple of hours surfing then tried another restart with modem out.it did restart but hung a bit on bllack screen between microsoft screen with progress type bar and login screen.then i turned off by selecting shutdown.turned it on using power button,it got to the microsoft progress bar page and just stayed there.left it for a few minutes and then held power button down to get it to go off.refer to no 3 in post 8.it made a bit of a squeel and a bit of light on the screen.after a minute i turned it back on and got error windows blah blah.it started up startup repair which gave me option to do system restore which i did.it then started up ok.then norton 360 pipes up saying it has encountered internal error.went into it and av auto protect was not on but firewall and temp file cleaner were ok.hit fix button but this did nothing.tried a scan and it said virus definitions invalid.tried live update next and after about 30 mins downloading updates all was fine.had enough by then so called it a night.today it booted up fine.cheked installed windows updatesand they were still listed as installed but it asked me to install them again which i did.selected shutdown and resarted by button (didnt want to risk restart).so here i am back in pretty much same position as last night.to reply to fairjoeblue i have never been into the bios and am worried i might screw thing up even more so 2 questions.what boot order should there be and how do i get out of the bios if i need to. to sneakycyber as far as i am aware the only other option for the mobile broadband i have is a dongle-another usb device although i dont know much about these things.hope your still awake after reading all this drivel. ps i found another similar thread here http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=241323

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

Ahh its a mobile broadband, they do have PCMCIA cards but it depends on you carrier. As for the bios if you screw something up you can always set it back to default settings (its an option in bios menu) to exit out press F10 and choose to save your settings or not. You boot order should be HDD then CD/DVD rom drive.

Chad Mockensturm 

#13 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

my isp does not have the pccmia card option.not suprising as they are regularly voted worst mobile broadband providers in uk.(found this out AFTER signing up for 2 years).i have decided not to risk the bios as i dont really know what i am doing.so have decided never to select restart again.if i need to reboot for updates etc i will just go back to selecting shutdown and start again with power button.not an ideal situation especially seeing as its only 3 months old but i can live with it.thanks sneeky for your help and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users