Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 6 not starting on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thorntonman

thorntonman

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

I have 3 PCs on a home wireless network. All are running Windows XP Pro and accessing internet through a Netgear wireless router/modem/gateway/firewall. However on my daughter's PC she cannot get upgraded to MSN 7 as she cannot get IE6 working. When the task is run the initial screen is shown for about 1 or 2 seconds then disappears - no error messages shown and no evidence of the task in Windows Manager.

The strange thing is that we can get internet acces but by using Mozilla Firefox as the browser. We have also installed user switching to Firefox for IE compatability but the Microsoft site rejects the request to download MSN 7 as IE is not the recognised browser.

We have MSN 7 availability on the other 2 PCs on the network so I think we have isolated the problem to the configuration on that one PC.

Any thoughts on a solution to get my daughters MSN upgraded will make her a very happy girl.

Thorntonman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:56 PM

Hello thorntonman and welcome to BC.

The first thing I would do is to run my anti-virus, an online scan like Panda Active Scan, plus Ad-Aware and Spybot.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 thorntonman

thorntonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hi again,

I could not download from the Panda site. No error message for me to establish what was going wrong, looked at FAQ but could not get a solution.

I have Spybot and on running this it detected 17 errors 2 of which looked serious Xupiter and N-Case. Spybot has removed them although it did take a very long time creating the restore point. I ran Spybot again and it showed a successful run with no errors this time.

I noticed on my Windows Firewall setting that IE was not listed as an exception, have set it now but still no access with IE.

Any ideas on next step?

Thorntonman

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

Based on those results I would think your best bet would be to submit a HiJack This Log for review by our team. See How to submit a Hijackthis Log for instructions on what to do.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users