Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reboot from disc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kjmarket

kjmarket

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

I've been battling a severe virus infection for a month and I've had it. I just want to reformat and be done with it. The problem is I can't boot from Disc, and the screen that used to show up with the "press a certain button to enter setup" thing stopped showing up around the same time the virus infection began. The other PC is a Dell, and tutorials for getting into your BIOS have failed me due to not having a screen to enter setup,a nd the ke seuences they give to hit...they dont tell you when or on what screen to press/hold them. I've tried on every screen I get and nothing. My screens are CHoose your O.S, then the XP loading screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boilerman

boilerman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Microsoft offers a download for install setup boot floppies. Different versions for WXP HE and PRO. The download installs on six floppies. Possibly your install CD will pickup from the install setup boot and complete the WXP installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#3 kjmarket

kjmarket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

Broken Link. Not sure that is the solution I need, and can't find anything relating to what you are talking about.

Edited by kjmarket, 29 March 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Have you tried changing the boot sequence in system BIOS so that CD is your first boot device?

In most computers you press DEL key to enter BIOS when it starts.
Then somewhere is listed boot sequence or first boot device, second boot device etc.
After you have made changes save them (usually there is an option "Save and Exit") and restart your computer.

In some modern computers, you dont have to make permanent changes, during boot an option is shown to choose boot device (by pressing F12 usually).

All the key combinations vary from BIOS to BIOS. Observe carefully when you computer is booting up, what options you are shown.

If you have made the above changes, and still are not able to boot from the CD. Then possibly your CD drive is faulty or the CD is not bootable. To check the both cases, try booting using the same disk on other computers and you will find out.

Edited by Romeo29, 29 March 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#5 boilerman

boilerman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:12 AM

How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Floppy disks are obsolete. That solution was provided by Microsoft for legacy systems (older computers). Modern computers usually dont have floppy drives attached.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users