Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does "CS: IP: OP:" stand for

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Studio Era

Studio Era

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hello all,
just a bit of curiousity.

During the course of wrestling with a particularly nasty virus last month, I wrote down all the error
messages.

All the numbers were usually different, but the common factors were the CS: IP: OP: (for example: CS:of76 IP:04C4 OP:6c6f72)

Doing a Google search on the numbers usually turned up a completely different set of numbers.

In any case, I'm wondering about the meaning behind the 'code'.
If any one knows where I can research it more, or provide any info, I would be most grateful.

Thank you for your time,
Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Redex

Redex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

Hi there. Ive been doing a lil research on Assembly recently... and from what it looks like, CS and IP look like information that Is causing the error, and OP looks like the position in memory that the data is in.

i cant really be of any more help, but I do know that If you google the numbers directly, you wont get the results you want because some of the numbers include information specific to your machine (and specific to place in memory you used at the time that you ran the program).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

Post the entire, exact content of one of these messaages...and someone may be able to figure it out.

The world (including the world of computing) is full of abbreviations...all of which mean nothing unless they are perceived in the proper context of what is stated, written, etc.

Louis

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

You wrote it all down? Wow.

I believe those errors will manifest themselves when a (possibly) 16 bit program or virtual machine tries to run on a 32 bit machine (like XP) and can't for some reason, and those are "stacks", offsets and addresses which might make sense to the program author trying to debug the program.

Generally, the program has either thrown up on itself, or had a fatal head on collision with something else.

You can click to continue, the numbers might change as it tries to go further, but there is probably no hope for it.

If you see them repeatedly, you need to try to figure out what was going on at the moment, an installation, an update, some new program, malware infection, etc. The numbers themselves are probably not much help much to lay people like me, unless they are the same every time so you might get a Google hit if it is repeatable, but there is going to be something else that needs to be fixed.

In places like this, OP usually refers to the "Original Post(er)" of a message. As the starter of this thread, you are now an official OP!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users