Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue norton 2009 antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Const_girl

Const_girl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Has anyone heard of a suspicious rogue acting as Norton 2009 antivirus. I got the WINDOWS 2009 antivirus worm and now I'm "gun shy." I didn't purchase the 2009 version, just got an update notice that my son clicked. I'm currently running Norton 2008. This program will not allow me to exist out of it and insists I MUST uninstall my current norton 2008. I had windows task manager get rid of the window, but when I go to add/remove programs...it is there as Norton 2009. It's just weird....the norton emblem is the same, but the colors are reversed...you know, the usual deception stuff for rogues. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

For the time being, I am shifting this to the AV forum. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

Can you post some screenshots please? :thumbsup: I'd love to see this.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

I have not heard of any rogues using Norton or Symantec as of yet but that does not mean they won't at some point in time. The newest rogues (and how to remove them) can be found in BC's Malware and Spyware Removal Guides which are listed in order of the most current threat. At the bottom of each page, there is a link to view Previous Entries.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Has anyone heard of a suspicious rogue acting as Norton 2009 antivirus. I got the WINDOWS 2009 antivirus worm and now I'm "gun shy." I didn't purchase the 2009 version, just got an update notice that my son clicked. I'm currently running Norton 2008. This program will not allow me to exist out of it and insists I MUST uninstall my current norton 2008. I had windows task manager get rid of the window, but when I go to add/remove programs...it is there as Norton 2009. It's just weird....the norton emblem is the same, but the colors are reversed...you know, the usual deception stuff for rogues. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it?

Hi Const_girl,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

There is indeed a rogue infection called "AntiVirus 2009" that has been identified by Symantec and may appear to look similar to Norton products. For information on this infection and how to remove it, please review the following document.

AntiVirus 2009 Infection information and removal instructions

In regards to the free update offer you received from Symantec, it is highly recommended that you do update to the newer version, as it contains many new and enhanced features that will help protect your computer against the ever-growing number of threats that are discovered every day.

I would suggest that you follow the instructions to remove the rogue "AntiVirus 2009" infection first, and then utilize the free update to the 2009 version of your registered Norton product.

Let me know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 30 March 2009 - 03:56 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users