Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on format

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 misconduct

misconduct

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hello All,
Im helping a neighbour fix her computer and Im having the following problem.
- I have a legal copy of xp home sp2 but when I boot from cd it freezes at "setup is loading files" (Kernel Debugger DLL)
- when the computer starts it gives me an error message of "206 Memory failed configuration"
- i have a floppy boot disk Ive tried as well and I cant seem to format C: it is telling me format is not supported on drive C:

There is no operating system at all on this computer,thats why Im trying to do a clean install.
Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Karnac

Karnac

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Sounds like a memory error. Remove the memory modules, clean the contacts and
re seat one at a time and restart. Test with only one DIMM at a time to
isolate the problem. If it was only due to dirty contacts then all will test ok. This probably has nothing to
do with your hard disk.

#3 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

thanks, not sure I understand. do you mean the ram?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

yes Karnac meant RAM modules. Clean the contacts with a dab of Isopropyl Alcohol. Then re-seat them firmly.

Edited by Romeo29, 29 March 2009 - 01:23 PM.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

The message 206 memory failed configuration, indicates that the hardware test (run at startup) found a problem with the installed RAM. You can try to remove one of the memory-modules, to see of the problem persists. If all works fine, it means that the removed module has a problem. This tutorial explains all about RAM.

As for the format problem, make sure what type of harddisk the computer has. If it is a SATA-disk, you need to load drivers for that, since the XP-CD does not contain them. Here you can find information about harddrives and how to figure out if it is a SATA-disk or not. However the problem may or may not be caused by bad memory.

Good luck!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

A floppy boot disk...is not necessary when installing XP from the MS XP install CD. Just use the CD to delete any preexisting partition structures and let the install proceed.

FWIW: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Re SATA and installing XP: Some systems with SATA capability come with IDE-simulation preset or available...thus the user does not have to load SATA drivers to install XP on the SATA drive. A look in the BIOS should confirm/refute the possibility...or a look at the owner's/motherboard manual.

Louis

#7 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Alright
I managed to get rid of the 206 Memory failed configuration by cleaning the ram modules.
Now when I try to install the O/S it gets to the screen to select a partiton and I get the following message
-to setup win xp on the selected item press enter
-to create a partition in the unpartitioned space press c
-to delete the selected partition press d

38178 mb disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
(setup cannot access this disk)

Any thoughts?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that drive, Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.htm

If that turned out OK, I would then just low-level format it from the manufacturer's diagnostic...assuming that there is nothing on the drive that I want...and then install from the XP CD.

If the diag turns out not so good...you know the problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users