Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP error message on loading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thorntonman

thorntonman

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

Good day all,

This is my first post from a new UK user.

I am running Windows XP Pro and have been troubled by NAIL.EXE. I think I have successfully removed it to quarantine using EWIDO. Now on starting Windows I am presented with an error message "Windows cannot find 'C:WINDOWSNAIL.EXE'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly ...(etc)".

Now this is not nearly as problematic as the NAIL.EXE effect but it is an irritation. Can you advise what I need to do to stop the call to NAIL.EXE.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Thorntonman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

NAIL.EXE and AURORA.EXE are recent and nefarious spyware from Direct Revenue, Inc. Arm yourself with another anti-malware application like Adaware or Spybot Search and Destroy and feel better!

EDIT: whoops, it appears you're over the virus and just have a residual message regarding it.

First things first; see if it is in your 'Startup' folder. Start > Programs > Startup... look for the call to it there.

Failing that, see if it stands out from among the programs listed under Start > Run > msconfig (typed in the Run box, then click 'Ok'). Msconfig has a tab for services launched at startup... you should find the offender by the path it's calling if not by name.

EDIT2: In fact, you may want to repost your issue in the HJT (hijack this) log forum; they will know better than I (at least off the top of my head) how best to permenantly remove that annoying call to NAIL.EXE.

Edited by pchartwell, 14 June 2005 - 01:50 PM.

#3 thorntonman

thorntonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:44 PM

Hi,

Just to close this one off. I could not see any entries in my Start Up folder or from running Msconfig Services tab (nothing obvious there). I downloaded Hijackthis and after running a scan the call to Nail.exe was shown - quick delete edit and problem gone now.

Cheers,

Thorntonman :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users