Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98 won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hey there everyone,

my system is set up to dual boot with XP, but this problem started one day when i tried to boot up into Win98, the WIN.COM file was missing or corrupted.
After copying the file back into the windows folder it still wouldn't boot so i was recommended to re-install 98 over the previous set up.
This all went fine until, as it normally would it re-booted, but then came to this message " You are currently running in MS-DOS mode. Do you want to return to normal mode, to run Windows applications again [Enter=Y,Esc=N]?"
If i chose Y it reboots back to this screen and if i choose N i get a command prompt C:\>, does anyone know how i can get this to boot up again???
Any help is much appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ellisond

ellisond

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

Hi,

Do you want to boot only Windows 98 or Windows XP and Windows 98 now?

If you want to boot only Windows XP/Windows 98, a good place to start is to recreate partitions and reset the master boot record.

Do you know how to do this?

I can give you further instructions but first I need to know exactly what you want to do.

Regards,

Dave.

#3 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:54 AM

I want to dual boot WinXP Pro & Win98 SE.
My WinXP works perfectly, it's just 98 that's having the problem when booting up.
Can you help me with this??
I'm getting close to just formatting and reinstalling 98 at this stage...

#4 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:01 PM

Just to update, i checked my config.sys file to see if "DOS=SINGLE" but it's "DOS=high,umb" so that's alright.
I then booted with a 98 boot disk and typed sys c: which hasn't worked either but i can boot into safe mode now.
The only thing is that now i don't get my dual boot screen so can't boot into XP which was working fine.
Any idea how to solve this either?

#5 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

Ran msconfig and discovered in the config.sys file that DOS=SINGLE so changed it to DOS=high,umb and now 98 boots up as normal, sucess.....

Now i just need to get my dual boot running again.
How do i get the WinXP/Win98 option screen at boot up to appear again??

#6 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:17 AM

With the WinXp disk i booted into the recovery console, i typed in the FIXBOOT command and typed EXIT.
This wrote the new bootsector to the C: partition and all is well again.
Cheers for the help.... :thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

That was more like self help. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you resolved the situation. Hopefully we'll see you here often sharing your expertise with others.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users