Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WisAvCtrl 1.0.1.3 Can I exclude from startup? New Member

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brinn1

brinn1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and would introduce myself as Dr Steve Brinn, A pediatrician (care for kids) for 30 years in Cincinnati, Ohio. I consider myself fairly computer literate but I have a ways to go to deal with the "Elite" computer people.

I use Vista Home Premium Version, Service pack 1, 32 bit opperating system

My computer is a laptop, Lenovo, Y710, with the Intel " Intel extreme x9000 " chip and Game zone. It has 4gb of memory, and 2 hard drives, 240 gb each. I keep 1 hard drive to use strictly for music. I also have a 1 terrabyte server at home and use it alot, watching downloads through a hard wire internet connection to my Xbox-360.

I have a few questions about STARTUP ITEMS. I do use PC Magazine Start up Pro as the place to make changes and monitor my startups (any comments welcome about that)

Startup item #1? WisAvCtrl 1.0.1.3 : I have searched for all these by Google, and find lots of people wondering about the startup items I'm going to name, but I've never found an answer as to what they do or if I can remove them.

Startup Item #2? WISOSD MFC Application

Startup Item #3? sm56hlpr Motorola app

Startup Item #4? CLIStart tied to ATI technologies

My normal desire is to start up only those items I need and leave everything else disabled. The disabled items usually open easily when trying to use that software (for instance I have adobe, itunes, anti spy ware items disabled). I run anti spyware as a daily scan but disable any real time stuff. My anti viral software ESST is the only "real time" enabled software.

I have one other concern concerning my latest edition IE browser shuting down frequently and having to restart it. It is on a Vista machine but I think I'll look for a different forum to make sure I'm not asking in the wrong place.

At any rate, thank you for having me and as a new member look forward to the wisdom of the forum members to help me through my "bumps" along Computer Road

Thank you in advance
Steve B

Edited by brinn1, 29 March 2009 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

hi,,,, welcome to the b/c site,,,, thats a nice laptop you have there,,,, right to the problem,,, i have seen lots of crap that pins its self to startup and could not find on google or on this sites list of startup programs,,, this is the rule of thumb i go by,,,,, if its not security then i get rid of it from the startup menu,,,,, all the pc's i work on for ffriends and family i do the same thing,,,, only security and the odd thing they mite like,,,, i have on mine,,, avast a/v,, malwarebytes full version,,, and a hard disc monitor from intel,,, 3 things,,, vista firewall is also on startup but is not displayed in the microsoft configuration utility (msconfig)
most of these things are updater's,,, they look for updates for there products,,, ie,,, motorola and ATI (your graphics card maker)
so in summary,,,, zap em 1 at a time,,, all should be fine,,, if not then go put them back :huh:
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 29 March 2009 - 01:45 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

As for your startups, you've done all the research.

I suspect that, barring malware, items 1 and 2 are a part of the Lenovo startup programs (some of the references in the searches that I've conducted refer to Lenovo systems). This is just conjecture on my part because of my research and because of the frustration I felt in trying to trim the startups on my Lenovo tablet. To help find a definitive answer, navigate to the startup location and the file locations of these files. Check the directories that they're in for clues as to what they belong to. Also, right clicking on the file, selecting Properties, then selecting Details may reveal the author of the programs.

Startup item 3 is your telephone modem software. If you don't use the phone from the computer (for example, if you fax from the laptop), it's safe to disable.

Item 4 is listed in our Startup Programs database here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/C....exe-19070.html
Basically, it's safe to delete if you don't use it (the Catalyst Control Center). This won't affect your video drivers.

For most startup items, I research them as you have done. If I don't find a definitive answer, then I disable them to see what happens. If there's no problems, then I leave it disabled. If there are problems, then I re-enable it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users