Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

updating from Home XP to Office 2003

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hi! My computer is HP Pavillion 7955 and it came with Home XP. I am taking some online courses and I have acquired the student/teacher edition of Office 2003 software--all new in the package. I want to clear out some files and do disk cleanup and defrag. I just thought I'd ask for any advice or input concerning any other preperation for this download.
Thanks a lot!
noony
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:53 PM

Noony,

Windows XP (home ed.) is the operating system of the computer and Office 2003 is a suite of applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) which you will run on the computer. This isn't an 'update' or upgrade or the like unless you already have a version of Office or any of the earlier Office applications already installed.

In which case, bombs away! Defrag and clear out files as you like, shouldn't really matter but it never hurts. As you install the Office 2003 suite be sure you have the install code it came with and hang on to that somewhere safe.

#3 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:56 PM

Thanks a lot, pchartwell--I appreciate your response!
noonytunes

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

You seem to have the installation well in hand. I would personally, since Office is such a large application, run a second defrag AFTER the installation of MS Office. You should also be sure to check for Office security patches.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:54 PM

Don't forget to activate!

#6 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:23 PM

Thanks jg and izzy! BTW, what do u mean "activate"? :thumbsup:
noonytunes

#7 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

Thanks jg and izzy! BTW, what do u mean "activate"? :thumbsup:

I can't remember whether you have to activate MS Office or not; I know you do for Windows XP and don't worry about that since you bought a computer that had it pre-installed.

If it asks you at any point during or immediately after the installation of Office 2003 to 'register' your product you can register or decline to register as you like. This is registration in the sense of almost any sort of product (computer or otherwise) that you buy these days; eg. warranty.

If it asks you at any point during or immediately after the installation of Office 2003 to activate the product then you will need to do that (if not at that moment then soon; within 30 days or so) and will need to either be connected to the internet to allow M$ to check it out or phone in on a toll-free line. This is their sort of anti-piracy measure.

Either way you'll be prompted first, I just tried to explain the difference between registering and activating.

#8 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

Microsoft Office XP & Office 2003 requires Activation to use the product. You have 50 laucnhes - 50 laucnhes means 50 times to open the programs - 50 for word, 50 for excel etc. just 50 clicks on the icon say you canuse word 20 times, then excel 12 times then say outlook 8 times and access 10 times = 50 laucnhes times up. Activate is required to use the program. If it came pre-installed on you PC you don't need to worry about it. In your case your upgrading from XP to 2003 so you will need to Activate - which will come up after installation or in the help menu of any application "Activate Product". Only Student & Teacher and Professional allow 2 activations while the others allow only 1. You have to contact Microsoft to activate afterwards and proof of purchase or varification. Personally you're better off sticking to XP version but if you gonna you're gonna.

#9 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

Thanks so much, izzy and pc, for your input--I really appreciate it! I'll know what to watch for now. You're great! :thumbsup:
noonytunes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users