Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt XP Install Disk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:23 AM

I had hard drive issues recently and decided to reinstall Windows XP home using my XP install disk.(I got the disk with my custom built system) Everything came to a screeching halt when there was an error message and set up was unable to continue. I can't recall the message, but it was referring to a damaged install disk. This was the second time I used the disk, the first time it worked with no problems.
When I got the disk, I *think* I made a back up copy and if I did I cannot find that disk at this time. My mother was in and out of the hospital and in-patient physical therapy at the time I got my computer. There was a lot to deal with and that's why I am not sure if I actually made the back up disk.

My problem turned out to be a bad hard drive, which was under warranty. My computer tech replaced the drive and installed XP home on it.

Now I'm looking toward the future to a time when I might have to reinstall. Without a working disk, I won't be able to do that should it become neccessary.

After I got my hard drive replaced, I decided to make a copy of the damaged disk. I decided to test the copy by installing XP on the drive in my enclosure. No joy, I got the same unable to continue set up message. I really didn't expect it to work, so I wasn't to disappointed.

This morning I did some research on the internet and discovered I could do what is called a "flat" which is to copy set up files from the disk to my hard drive. What I wanted to do was burn the set up files to a disk.
The copy was going fine until I received this message:

Error copying File or Folder. Cannot copy MIGRATE: cannot read from the source file or disk.

New OS cd's are expensive. UPGRADE cd's cost a whole lot less.
My questions: Can an upgrade disk be used for a simple reinstall if needed? Or in order to "upgrade" would I need to purchase XP Pro? Would I have to install the ORIGINAL Home THEN the Home upgrade? (Home is cheaper than Pro)

If I can find someone with an XP home disk, I could use that with my key. But if I cannot get one from someone else, is there a way I can avoid having to purchase a new disk?

Could/should I invest in Acronis? I've never used it or anything similar, but am willing to give it a try.

I want the bases to be covered for the future.

All input, suggestions, and advice will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

I don't believe that you can purchase XP Installation CD's any more...Read this article:

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm

This may be a viable solution for you on how to create your own installation CD using the files from your existing (working) installation...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

Good morning :thumbsup:.

It's not unusual for any CD to become unreadable for many reasons...scratch, dirt, files may have sustained damage when copied...and so on.

If I was convinced I had a bad MS XP Home install CD...and I had a valid license for XP Home...I'd simply have someone burn me a copy of their MS XP Home CD. The files on the CD, regardless of whether it is a OEM (Microsoft OEM or system builder), upgrade or retail version of XP...are the same. Any CD with same will work with a valid XP Home license, AFAIK.

That is not necessarily true for OEM/boxmaker (Gateway, Dell, eMachines, etc.) disks provided to customers. A company selling computers with XP Home preinstalled...takes the responsibility for support for that disk and its contents. Some manufacturers alter the contents, adding additional software for their own support purposes. So when you see any reference to a "MS XP install CD" in any authoritative source...they are referring to a Microsoft XP CD, not any of these disks which may have been modified and issued as "restore/recovery/install" CDs.

There is no problem with having someone burn you a copy of her/his MS XP install CD, it's the license that is the valuable property with the restricted usage. As long as a user pairs a valid license with the attempted install...and ensures that the license applies to the CD user (XP Home for XP Home, XP Pro for XP Pro)...there are no bumps.

<<Can an upgrade disk be used for a simple reinstall if needed?>>

Not sure what you mean. AFAIK, there is only one way to upgrade to XP and that is with an upgrade version of XP. A clean install can be done from any valid MS CD, including the upgrade version. Ditto for a repair install.

<<But if I cannot get one from someone else, is there a way I can avoid having to purchase a new disk?>>

If it were me...I'd simply ask someone (reliable and trustworthy) at any forum that I attend...to burn/mail me a copy of the appropriate CD. I suppose that I'd pay the cost of mailing, which should be less than $10...but I would then have what I consider to be a necessary tool for the O/S that I have chosen to run.

I cannot imagine being without a valid copy of Windows...it tends to make life unnecessarily difficult, IMO.

I emphasize "reliable and trustworthy" because there are a ton of persons out there who have illegal versions of XP which they have downloaded from various sites and I would not suggest using a valid license/key with any of those.

<<Could/should I invest in Acronis?>>

Can't answer that one...but I can reveal the basic reasons that I believe everyone should utilize some form of disk-imaging software, if not necessarily Acronis True Image.

The strategy of backing up (or making a disk image of your system at periodic intervals) is based on the fact that things go wrong. I've used some form of backup (Iomega Zip disks, Powerquest Drive Image) ever since my first computer. I hated the Iomega disks and was very glad when disk-imaging software appeared. It's simple, convenient, and it allows me to have a complete copy of the entire system (if I so desire). I'm still using the software that I purchased 9 years ago, which works fine with XP (but won't work with Vista or Windows 7). That $39 dollar investment made then has proven to be very useful for me, in terms of peace of mind.

Before I purchased any such program today...I would carefully consider the next operating system that I intend to use. I like XP, but I know that, at some time...I will go to Windows 7 and XP...then probably just Windows 7. When I go to Windows 7, I will need a program for disk-imaging that is compatible with it. It's a simple thing to me...but it's one that some users will not necessarily consider.

Acronis True Image will probably be my choice then because I would have confidence in it to do the job (create a disk image) from which I can easily access any file or group of files...or simply reinstall my O/S of choice.

Louis

Edit: Taken from today's site, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....+system+builder

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2009 - 10:14 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Upgrade is going from one OS to another.

Since I made my post, I've done some research.
If I understand correctly, I can either upgrade to a different OS or do a clean install of the new OS.
This is a still a possible solution as long as I don't have to install from the original disk or from a burned copy.
I would not want to do it one time, then the next find out I can't because I need the original XP home installed.
I agree the best thing to do would be to get someone to burn me a copy of XP Home. The only thing is, everyone I know has off-the-shelf systems such as Dell, HP, etc. My computer tech may be willing to burn me a copy for a small fee.
And I will also investigate Acronis and other programs, although I have no clue how they work. Something new for me to learn.

I can purchase XP install disks at Office Depot. They do have them in stock. The drawback to purchasing a new disk is the future, when XP becomes totally unsupported.

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hi Queen-Evie,

I've had unusually good luck with calling the manufacturer and talking to them, even when I've been beyond the warranty. It takes some patience to get through the customer service options, but if you keep repeating the same message to each person - my disk is non-readable even though I only used it twice and I would like ot find out how to get a replacement - I've found that people can be quite helpful. If you've only used the disk twice, there's a chance they will trade you for the broken one or work out something. There's no guarantee they will help you, but many like to keep their customers so they'll come back again. I would try that before doing anything else.

Zllio

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

Zllio, I have a custom built computer. The disk was given to me at the time I bought the system. I've only used it once to reinstall. The second attempt resulted in me being informed that the disk is corrupted.
My plan is to go see my tech tomorow, the one who built the computer for me. I'm hoping he will be willing to burn me a copy of XP Home.
I have used this same tech for years, so I do have that in my favor.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

You got an error in copying MIGRATE.

No Problem :thumbsup: For clean install using booting from XP CD, you dont need that folder.

You need to copy only these folders for clean install: (assuming that you have D: as CD drive)
D:\i386
D:\i386\ASMS
D:\i386\DRW
D:\i386\LANG (you only need US English from this folder for I assume you use English interface, but copying all files wont harm either)
D:\i386\SYSTEM32
D:\i386\SVCPACK (you may or may not have this)
Also all the files in the root folder of CD drive.

Dont try to install it on hard disk, when you can test it using software like VirtualPC or VirtualBox :flowers:

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

As Alice stated this is now "Curiouser and curiouser!"

I decided to try copying the files from the XP disk one more time. This time the Migrate copied over. But another file wouldn't, something that started with a P.

Then I got the bright idea to try my Maxtor drive-to-drive copy utility.
Everything copied over to the folder I set up on my hard drive.

I'll play around with this whole thing when I have more time.

And I will still welcome any other suggestions until I get this issue resolved.

#9 boilerman

boilerman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Macrium Reflect has a free version of imaging software. I use it regularly.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

#10 boilerman

boilerman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

Microsoft offers a download for install setup boot floppies. Different versions for WXP HE and PRO. The download installs on six floppies. Possibly your install CD will pickup from the install boot and complete the WXP HE installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Edited by boilerman, 30 March 2009 - 05:13 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

Nice link (Macrium Reflect), thanks :thumbsup:.

Looks interesting, I'll probably try it tomorrow.

Louis

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

Everything copied over to the folder I set up on my hard drive.

I'll play around with this whole thing when I have more time.

And I will still welcome any other suggestions until I get this issue resolved.

Looks like you had a faulty CD drive
If everything is copied over, what is the issue now? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users