Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SuperAntiSpyware using all of CPU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bartolo

Bartolo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

Each day I run a scan with the latest paid version of SAS on my XP Pro SP3 PC. For the past few days it has been using ever more of my CPU and I can only describe it as sucking the life out of the system. This degradation comes on slowly as the scan progresses.

The symptoms are that it changes and/or removes the colors from browser buttons and other parts of the apps, it makes my Eudora in box appear to be empty or only partially there, fails to display all that should be appearing on the screen, and all but prevents me from using the other apps, which are just my Opera browser and Eudora.

Even after the 30 minute scan completes, I cannot seem to get normal control of Opera and Eudora. SAS does not report finding any malware.

When I restart the PC all returns to normal.

My system is fully patched as indicated by Secunia's PSI.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bartolo

Bartolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

Well, today's SuperAntiSpyware scan ran and results were still bad, but different. When I returned to the computer shortly after the scan, a box on the screen told me that the PC was locked and offered to have me log on as user. I never do so, never see this box, but luckily it allowed me on just by hitting enter. Had I been taken out of Admin mode?

SAS had its usual box up that said no malware was found. I clicked out of that and found my CPU was still running at 100%. Switching into Process Explorer I saw that my iTouch (Logitech) app was using that much CPU. Another first!

I do indeed have a cordless keyboard and mouse from Logitech.

I was able to close out and restart and when it came up again, all was acting normally.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

Well, I have seen the same CPU-usage with the free SAS-version, while running it uses approx. 90% of my CPU. Incidentally after the scan, another application uses much (I remember at one time this was a microsoft-update service file). After restart everything is always normal and absolutely malware-free, so I think its just SAS using a bit too much (for that reason I do not enable its realtime protection).
Maybe there are more people with this experience, I dont know if this problems you experience are caused by SAS.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

I too experienced some head-butting between programs and my CPU usage spiking, but only at boot up. SAS was checking for updates immediately at boot up and so was Windows Automatic Updates. I've since turned off Windows automatic updates and just check for Windows Updates weekly myself. I wish there was a way to manually delay Win Auto Updates for 5-10 minutes. Boot up is a terrible time for WAU to tie up the system, IMHO!

I've also gone in & turned off "First Chance" protection on the SAS Realtime Protection screen (but leaving the box for Realtime Protection enabled). And to compound things, occasionally Avast's updater would try to get updates right when SAS was doing the same thing! I have set Avast's updates to delay for 3 minutes in the avast.ini file and that has greatly helped. And the first two things I mentioned seem to have cleared up the CPU spiking and freezes.

If you're experiencing the heavy CPU well after bootup, you might try a total uninstall of SAS (using their uninstall tool available here: http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtop...f=6&t=1454) and reinstalling to rule out a corrupt installation.

Edited by buttoni, 29 March 2009 - 07:15 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

The speed of an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning for suspicious behavior or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted or unsafe programs (PUPs).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk used capacity (number of files to include temporary files) that have to be scanned.
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user.
To speed up your scans, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out the temporary files or use ATF Cleaner first, and then perform your scans in "Safe Mode".

Some of these same factors can apply to system performance and utilization of resources while performing a scan so you should not be using the computer until it has completed.

Note: It is not unusal for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to be suspicious of some compressed, archived, .cab and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files.

Edited by quietman7, 30 March 2009 - 10:24 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Bartolo

Bartolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Many thanks to Elise, Buttoni, and QM.

SAS has always scaned with very high CPU but it did not corrupt my system until last week. I purchased it last August and have been running daily scans ever since. Today I disabled the scheduled daily scan but have it in active mode. First Chance is disabled. I don't scan upon boot-up.

This morning I posted my complaint above on the SAS forum. It has been up there for about five hours with no reply so far. I can't believe I am the only one with "SAS Gone Wild", but who knows?

I would rather not have to do daily non-problem scans in safe mode. To my knowledge SAS does not specify that for clients.

#7 Bartolo

Bartolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

Just for the record, the SAS folks recommended that I try easing off on other security software. My first try was to disable Windows Defender's Real-time protection and that solved my problem. I reckon it is better to have SAS' real-time active than WD's.

Bartolo

#8 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

Ok firstly... I am not very knowledgeable of SAS, but even on a XP Pro 1.1 ghz Pentium 3, 256mb ram, old ass compaq that I used to have, running adaware, while downloading music, watching music videos, working on coding(at the time I was in college, I took almost only computer classes, did a lot of that), plus hosting my own website, plus having Avast scanning everything that Adaware scanned, still didn't take up 100% (though it did take up 95%) of my cpu... So if SAS is taking that much of your cpu, I would suggest changing...
Bartolo - The lock out screen should not have taken you out of admin to beging with... Seems to me like a keylogger, except made to only try and get your password... Secondly, I would choose to have Windows Defender on, over most Anti-Virus, and Anti-Spyware programs... Disabling Windows Defender is a very stupid idea(no offense)... My second cousin, who has been into computers of course far longer then I, who programs in Assembly, and programs embedded systems... He uses only Windows Defender, and has not had to worry about any virus's or spyware since...

I suggest to you all, to get Adaware...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users