Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overall Network upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jojostarbuck

jojostarbuck

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

We are limping along here on outdated equipment.

Currently, funds are VERY limited, so it will be a slow process. My question relates to what can and cannot be done without disabling the current network.

all client computers have either office 97 or office 2000
they are running either windows 95 or 98

the server is a windows NT4.0 running Microsoft Backoffice small business server

what I want to do (need to do first) is replace the 2 W95 computers with XP pro computers. I will have to install the existing office 2000 software on them.
Will XPpro, NT4.0 and Office 2000 all communicate together?

Thanks,
jojostarbuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

im pretty shure office will but im not shure about nt cause it might have to be 4.9 or what ever the upgrade version was they made

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

Yes they will still all communicate perfectly. And once you are ready to upgrade to win 2000/2003 server, xp pro and office 2000 will still work perfectly.

The versions of office running on the client computers has no bearing on the type of server OS you are using.

#4 jojostarbuck

jojostarbuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

awesome! I thought they would, just needed some confirmation.

as far as upgrading the server, We found that to be impossible without work that I just can't do. When it was originally partitioned and setup (by dell) the entire operating
partition on the hard drive was only 2g. This left no room to insstall the upgrades.
;-(

Thanks to you bith,
jojostarbuck

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

Just for info - partition sizes can be changed without having to reinstall software - see Partition Magic for example.

Edited by Rimmer, 16 June 2005 - 07:48 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users