Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HardDrive Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sparrow94

sparrow94

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

i had a system32 file error on my laptop about 3months ago...and had to re-install xp...i didn't want to lose all my files, so i created a new disk partition.
when it had finished installing, i logged on, to find all my files gone..i started to re-download/install the programs i had lost, until an error message popped up, saying there was not enough disk space...i thought this wasn't right, so looked in "my computer" to see what the HardDrive status was...i found that the original partition still had the same amount of memory being used as before the re-installation of xp.
when i tried to open my documents on the old partition, it said access denied. so i have about 15Gb of useable memory, out of my 50Gb HardDrive.
i have tried formating the old partition, but it says access denied...
is there any way i can get my memory back.
or do i have to buy and external HD?

thanks
sparrow94

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

<<i have tried formating the old partition, but it says access denied...>>

Means of the attempted format? You do realize that a format will wipe out everything on that partition?

As to accessing old docs in My Computer...try this from the new install: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users