Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to run any programs on XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yellowcrown

yellowcrown

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:25 AM

This PC is a Dell XPS 730, dual nVidia 9800gt, no active RAID, Soundblaster XFi card, 4GB. Recently I have had some issues with the PC including:

CD autorun not working - fixed by stopping the PowerDVD startup.
VERY slow bootup (15 minutes) - fixed by uninstalling Zonealarm (on two XP machines)

And now I get an NVIDIA RAID SERVICE error when the PC starts even though I'm not using any RAID. I have read that this service can be disabled through msconfig but have not done so yet.

The real problem is that when the PC fully boots I am unable to run any programs including the Windows Task Manager. Sometime I can quickly start an application if I do it before the PC is fully booted and before I get the NVIDIA RAID error but I'm not sure they're connected. I have the Task Manager running now. I can do things like open windows explorer though. If I attempt to run anything it seems to begin the startup process but never starts and quickly disappears from the task manager.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

Hi there! :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer. I am glad that you chose Bleeping Computer as your source of help today!

-----------------

Are you currently posting from a separate computer than the one you are trying to fix?

#3 yellowcrown

yellowcrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the kind welcome.

Yes, I am on a different computer. I tried a few things on the effected computer and have discovered that I can successfully start applications if I do so before the boot up sequence is complete. I can also start applications in safe mode. I just completed a scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode and nothing was found. Any help is appreciated.

#4 yellowcrown

yellowcrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

I found the cause but not the solution. When Bitdefender antivirus is set with Real-time protection enabled in default or aggressive mode I can't run any programs. If I turn of Real-time protection or put it in permissive mode everything works. Now that's what I call protection...with a sledge hammer!

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

Please run System File Checker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users