Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

9550 Black Edition and what Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andru

andru

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:15 AM

G'day guys

(skip to "-----------" if u wan't to get straight to the point)
i have had alot of trouble with my comp from gettinj my first m3a78 pro and scratching it (bleep up the whole board) to then 2 ram sticks being fualty power supply bieing fualty and CPU being fualty and thats just the parts. Anyway after the third time taking it to a tech and paying ea time they couldn't find out the problem and replacing all the fualty parts i took the comp back 2 where i bought the mobo from and they said my CPU ( AMD 9550 QUAD CORE Black Edition) is the only proccessor that won't run with my mobo so some more bad luck!

-------------------------------------------------
So know i'm looking for a new mobo and it has to be from this site as they are going to give me a discount of $100

www.gamedude.com.au

So if you have the time please look through and tell me a good mobo that is compatable with my parts (specs down the bottom)

I have previouly owned M3a78 Pro (not compatable)
M3a78-T (not compatable)

and now i might try the M4a78-Pro ( Don't know if it's compatable yet, looked on the site couldn't find any info)

Would greatly appreciate ur help

Thank yiou

Specs:

Mobo: ----
CPU: AMD QuAD 9550 Black Edition
RAM: CORSAIR 1066mh (8500CD5) 1g x4
GFX: ATI raidon 4670
Power supply: CORSAIR VX 550 - 550Watts
HD- WD 500gigg 7200rpm

Edited by andru, 29 March 2009 - 06:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Have you tried flashing the BIOS? Sometimes these BIOS updates will make the motherboard support newer processor.

Any of the AM3 socket boards should support that processor. However, they do cost more.

I think most any AM2 socket board with an AMD 780-790 chipset should work. Some of the more reliable brands are; Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI, but there are others. I suggest looking up some reviews for a motherboard that inetrest you.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

I've checked Asus' website and the M3A78 PRO is compatible with the 9550 using BIOS 0102 or higher. The M3A78-T is, surprising enough, not compatible with the 9550. The M4a78-Pro will also work the 9550. You can get an AM3 motherboard, but they will not work with AM2/AM2+ CPU's. However, AM3 CPU's (with 938 pinouts) will work with AM2/AM2+ (with 940 pinouts) and AM3 motherboards. For more information, check out this article from Tom's Hardware.

3939.png

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Oh I forgot about the AM3 socket compatibility. Disregard my previous post where I say any AM3 motherboard will work, none of them will.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users