Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Recovery disc - fine until I need to reboot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:53 AM

Good day All,

To cut a long story short, I had a virus/s which Bleeping Computers was helping me with when suddenly my computer was wiped.
I used the recovery disc and did a re-install. Everything fine until I restart the machine and I get a message saying that a file is corrupt or missing. The file in question is:-

Windowsroot>system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I have reinstalled three times and get the same problem each time I restart the computer.
As usual, all and any help appreciated.
George.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would run a check (manufacturer's diagnostic) of the hard drive, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

Louis,

I went to the Micro soft site and the instructions are as follows:-

Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.
After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.
When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.
Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER.
At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

For Uni-Processor systems:
expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I pressed R but nothing happens, it just carries on to copying files and when that has finished it tells me that Windows is restarting and it takes me right back to the beginning [press any key to boot from CD].
So what do I do now? Please keep it simple for me.

Regards Hard Drive Installation - I am no fitting a new HD. I am using the recovery Disc because my computer was wiped by a virus/s.

George.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Any time that Microsoft or any guidance (other than that from a vendor for its systems) refers to a Microsoft XP CD...they do not mean "recovery/restore" CDs provided by a system vendor.

Microsoft does not take responsibility for supporting any restore or recovery CD or partition. That is a system vendor (HP, Gateway, etc.) responsibility.

Those are not Microsoft XP CDs.

Any reference to Recovery Console...relates to a tool that is accessible either on the MS XP install CD, on the system (if installed by user from a MS XP install CD), or available from download (to be burned to CD).

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Louis

#5 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

Thank you. I think that I will call in an expert to sort it for me as this goes way beyond my capabilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users