Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnostic Startup wiping out many functions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bob.o

bob.o

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:47 AM

I am on wireless internet and my laptop is slow in startup. I opened the System Configuration Utility to view Startup items, and inadvertently ran Deagnostic Startup. This apparently wiped out many functions. Now there is; no audio, restore points are gone, no print spooler, flash drive not recognized and more. I opened the Services (Local) window and most of the items were disabled, but managed to restart some to get back on the internet. Many items would not start showing error 1068.
Will appreciate your help back to normal.

tnx, bob.o

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

Have you tried going back to where you checked diagnostic startup and checking normal startup instead?

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

Is this the error you're receiving:
"1068: Dependency service or group failed to start."

Several of Windows Services, are dependent on other Services, to run.
If the Services, the Service in question needs, are not running, you'll receive a 1068 error.

You might want ot check out Black Viper's XP Service Configurations Guide.

It list the Services, what they are, and suggestions as to how to set them.
Just click on the Service, for a description of what it is.
I'd advise sticking to the configurations listed in the "Safe" column.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 bob.o

bob.o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:24 AM

I tried normal startup and that did not help. I have another error that I failed to mention. Initialization error: HKDR driver is absent.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

When I put "HKDR driver" in google it returned zero results, it did not even bring up this page so I have no clue what that might be

#6 bob.o

bob.o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

More info on my problem.
Correct spelling of driver. intialization error: HKDRV driver is absent. The cooling fan runs at high speed constantly, is this caused by the missing hkdrv driver?
Also, device manager and network connection windows are blank. Restore points are gone. The printer is offline and I can't get it back online.
I suspect the computer, (toshiba laptop, A75 series) is infected with a virus or malware. I am contemplating on using the recovery disk and starting over from scratch. Will this fix the problems and be a little easier than using the Black Viper Guide as suggested by tg1911? I will study the Black Viper guide to become comfortable before using it. If I go the recovery route, I need to back a about 1 gig of data. Any suggestions on how to start the flash drive? At present it does not appear in my computer when installed in a usb port and the light is lit.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

From what I am finding, that driver appears to be part of the Toshiba Power Management Utilities. It is supposedly in the Control Panel. One article said it is used to manage AC\DC settings, but another one said it was used for fan management and since you are having problems with your fan, I am thinking that is why.

In a post on another site about this problem someone who also had this problem said that this file is needed to correct the problem, s3ktpmx.exe, which is the Toshiba Power Management Utility for Windows XP, and can be downloaded from Toshiba at....

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...jsp?soid=134461

It lists these as the Applicable Models:
Satellite 3000-S304, 3000-S307, 3000-S309, 3005-S304, 3005-S308, 3005-S307

That post said if you find it in Control Panel>Add\Remove Programs, to uninstall it and then install the one you download from Toshiba.

I do not know if your model is one of those listed or if this file will work if it is not one of those, in fact, I do not know anything about this other than what I have posted.

I have no idea about how to get that USB drive to work but with your Restore Points being gone and the other problems you are having, I am also thinking you might have some kind of infection. I would run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and see if they show any infections. If they do, I would make a post in the "Am I Infected" section of this forum and post the results there and see if you cannot get it cleared up without having to do a reinstall of your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users