Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Use Windows Update Service

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 captsparrow

captsparrow

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:12 AM

I have tried to access the Windows Update website, but have been unable to. I checked the WinUpdate folder in Program Files and noticed that there were no files in that folder. So when I went back to the Update site, it gave me the option of reinstalling the files, but it wasn't able to install. I tried changing security settings to allow the site to be able to install, but no such luck.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and can provide a solution? Thanks very much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Have you tried...

How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update or to Microsoft Update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018

Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

And this may be relevant, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/155133/problem-updating-via-windows-update/

Louis

#3 captsparrow

captsparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

I looked at those links and wasn't able to get it to work. I even tried to install the latest update to Windows Update Agent and that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

Not from me :thumbsup:, I've never had any problem accessing the website...you can Google and search the Web for pertinent situation that might help.

Louis

#5 captsparrow

captsparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

I've been searching for several days. I've tried unregistering the WinUpdate components from IE8 and going back to the site, to see if it would download the latest version. It made me install the addon again, but when I tried to get the updates, all that happened was it told me that it was unable to download the files.

Paging other members to this thread! This is most frustrating!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

What version of IE 8 do you have installed?

Have you checked Event Viewer for clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You might also double-check to see that the appropriate services are running.

Louis

#7 captsparrow

captsparrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

I have IE8.0.6001.18702IC. I looked at Event Viewer, I didn't see anything that struck me as odd. One of the reasons I want to get this to work is because I not sure if I have the most patched version of XP Sp3 to be protected against the Conficker worm tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users