Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up on Windows NT4 Service pack 6

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whiz

whiz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

Can someone tell me where I can find and edit the files which start when I boot up windows NT4 SP6 ?
Thanks in advance
Whiz
Ignorance is the enemy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:58 AM

What exactly are you trying to do?
JC

#3 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:09 AM

Im trying to shorten the boot up time of a PC I have at work. This PC has been downgraded to general office use after a year or so being used on the net. It is very slow to boot and I have a feeling that it has a load of malware and unnecessary items in the start up folder.
Ignorance is the enemy

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

There are a couple of files that load on you computer when NT loads:

Ntldr
Ntdetect.com
Boot.ini

Of the 3 files, the Boot.ini is the only file that can be modified. The only value that you should change is the amount of time it shows the Boot Menu. Without editing the file and screwing something else up.. you can do this.

To change the time-out value to the setting you want: 1. Right-click My Computer on the desktop, and then click Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Startup and Recovery.
3. Change the value in the Display list of operating systems for N seconds to the value you want, in seconds.
4. Click OK, and then click OK.

I believe the default time is 30 secs, I would change it to 1 second.
Besides that, chances are most of the other things loading are NT and application services.

The problem with NT is, if you screw around with the start-up files, chances are you will get the BSOD unless you really know what you are doing. NT does not have a System restore.

If it is MALWARE that you concerned about, and you have already ran the automated scanners -SPyBot and Ad-Aware, you could post a log in our HJT forum.
JC

#5 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:32 AM

Joshuacat,
Thanks for the help. I have run an ad-aware scan which removed somewhere in the region of 200 items. Unfortunately I couldnt run spybot as the PC in question is no longer connected to the net and spybot wouldnt run without an update.
Ignorance is the enemy

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

You can post a log in the HJT FORUM

Instructions are here.

Good-luck